Keep getting a flat battery. 1993 mx5 Roadster

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Salli
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Keep getting a flat battery. 1993 mx5 Roadster

Post by Salli » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:57 pm

I have had my MX5 for four years and had 4 batteries. The first one that was in the car when I bought it lasted 6 months. The new one from Repco about the same. luckily that was still under warranty and they replaced it. I have had the car to two different auto electricians and neither could find the fault. The second electrician suggested I put the car on a charger that connects to the house electricity when I have it parked, which I have done for the past 3 years. But the battery has failed again. There seems to be a small electrical leek some where. Has anyone some suggestions as to what this problem may be? I've booked the car into another auto electrician for next Thursday and would like a heads up as to what may be the cause.

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:50 pm

Is the car fitted with an alarm, or has anything been changed recently?

Salli

Post by Salli » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Nothing new added and the car has no alarm.

coxie
Tentative sideways sliding....

keep getting flat battery

Post by coxie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Is the battery not being charged when the car is being used or are U going out in the morning and finding the battery's dead?

Can ring or txt me
Coxie 0275352491
coxie

Salli

Post by Salli » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:30 pm

The battery has gone flat when I have gone out to use the car in the morning.

coxie

Battery keeps going flat

Post by coxie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Try checking ur headlights especially the wand on the steering column these can short out even wen the car is switched off and unoccupied raise the headlights by using the switch Jst under the hazard warning switch ( centre dash between centre air vents then try lightly moving the wand on steering column ( do not turn lights on! ) if there is a short they will come on by themselves: failing that try checking all yr interior light units one cud be faulty:

Gud hunting
coxie

coxie

Battery keeps going flat

Post by coxie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Try checking ur headlights especially the wand on the steering column these can short out even wen the car is switched off and unoccupied raise the headlights by using the switch Jst under the hazard warning switch ( centre dash between centre air vents then try lightly moving the wand on steering column ( do not turn lights on! ) if there is a short they will come on by themselves: failing that try checking all yr interior light units one cud be faulty:

Gud hunting
coxie

Salli

Post by Salli » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks Coxie, I'll get on to that and if I find any thing I will let you know. May have to suggest this to the garage if I get perplexed.

coxie

Flat battery

Post by coxie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:07 pm

I only found the fault as the short caused high beam to switch on at any time (and the blue light wud light up on the dash)whether lights wer on or not even wen parked with no one in it! Of course during the day with the headlight units down l never knew the lights were on same as at night wen parked up U with lamps down Ud never know the annoying thing was it was intermittent and might go for a week or fortnight before l'd come out of work to find battery flat or go to start it one morning flat as!
coxie

Salli

Post by Salli » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:59 am

Well, the auto electrician had the car for a day and found nothing so now I will wait and see what happens. At least the battery is covered by warranty for a few years. I checked the lights and found nothing wrong there. Thanks for your interest and help.

Teamjelly
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Teamjelly » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:17 pm

Put a Multimeter on there set to Amperage
And see if there's a drain when nothing is on
If there is start pulling fuses till it goes away.
Otherwise I'd check the charging system and/or the battery terminals
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Salli

Post by Salli » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:31 am

Thanks for the that, sounds right to me. How long should I leave the car connected, days or hours?

Salli

Post by Salli » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Thank goodness for AA Road Assistance. Battery flat again after 3 weeks, so back to AES. This time they kept the car for a few days and found a fault in the radio which I rarely listen to. It had turned itself on without my permission, the aerial did not pop up and I could not hear any noise. They have installed a new basic radio, and did not over charge me for the labour or radio. I am now looking forward to uninterrupted motoring. Thanks for the tips they helped to keep me sane.

jtsoldier
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by jtsoldier » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:40 pm

love those people who return to their threads to tell us what the solution was after a long time..

fantastic habit to retain.

Salli

Post by Salli » Fri May 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Well that was not the end of it. Three weeks later flat battery. AA came to my assistance again and I took the car back to AES, they kept it for more than a week (over Easter) and nothing was happening until they shifted it and found a motor under the gear stick that was not shutting off. They have disconnected this and I have had the car home now for 4 weeks and all good. They did not charge me for this. How good is that!?
A difficult problem solved that no other auto electrician in Wanganui could be bothered with.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Sat May 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Salli wrote: found a motor under the gear stick that was not shutting off.
??? What sort of motor/what was it powering?!
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

NicF

Post by NicF » Mon May 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Faulty reverse light switch? I've heard that can happen.
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad
Because RWD is ALWAYS more fun

Salli

Post by Salli » Wed May 11, 2016 11:18 am

I don't know what the motor was for I forgot to ask. I never had reverse lights so don't think that is what it was for. May be some one here can help. I will go back to AES at some stage to let them know how happy I am so will ask them then. Every thing seems to be working fine without it though.

joanie

Post by joanie » Thu May 12, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm curious you say you have no reversing light I thought all MX5s had
them

NicF

Post by NicF » Fri May 13, 2016 4:10 pm

If the reversing lights haven't been working then that is probably where the fault originated. Unlike other lights in the car, reversing lights are permanently connected to positive, and the circuit is switched by connecting the circuit to earth, which is negative. That switch is in the gearbox. I'd hazard a guess that there is a fault in some part of that circuit that is fixed by disconnecting the wire to the gearbox. Probably no worries if that's the case, except you obviously have no reversing lights.

BTW, leaving your battery connected to a charger long term will cook your battery if it's a normal cheapo charger, not to mention generating very flammable hydrogen gas which can build up in your boot space. You should only leave a battery on a charger long term if it's a smart charger like a ctek.
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad
Because RWD is ALWAYS more fun

joanie

Post by joanie » Fri May 13, 2016 7:44 pm

I always thought if reversing lights were fitted they had to work ... so how do you get a WOF if they don't work? Must have a very friendly garage :D

Salli

Post by Salli » Sun May 29, 2016 8:59 pm

I hope this helps you joanie.

Reversing lamps

(1) Reversing lamps are white rear facing lamps used to illuminate the area behind the vehicle when it is reversing.

Fitting requirements

A vehicle may have up to two reversing lamps, which must be wired so that they only operate when either:
reverse gear is engaged, or
the headlamps are turned off.
When purchasing reversing lamps, it is your responsibility to ensure they meet approved standards and are designed for that specific purpose. If in doubt, consult a vehicle lighting retailer.
On the road
Most reversing lamps operate automatically. However, where reverse lamps operate manually they must only be used when reversing.

(2) Vehicle Inspection Requirements Manual: In-service Certification
A reversing lamp that does not comply with equipment, condition and performance requirements must be made to comply or be disabled so that it does not emit a light.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”