Wellington Area Meet??

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Liam_Irl_NA
Tentative sideways sliding....

Wellington Area Meet??

Post by Liam_Irl_NA » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 pm

I always feel a bit jealous when I see all these meets up North!!

Are there many Wellington based owners on here? If so would there be any interest in having a meet sometime before the weather forces me to buy a hardtop!

Just a thought.

Laim

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Give me a month or so and I'll be adding to your numbers down there

Liam_Irl_NA

Post by Liam_Irl_NA » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Awesome - I see quite a few around and the odd time get approached but most of ones I see look tired and old which is a shame! Will be good have another clean example floating around 8)

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Liam_Irl_NA wrote:Awesome - I see quite a few around and the odd time get approached but most of ones I see look tired and old which is a shame! Will be good have another clean example floating around 8)
Outside of my car isn't exactly clean (cleaner than Furai's though) :p Inside definitely is though but I guess I'm after that stealth look with peeling paint ;)

Liam_Irl_NA

Post by Liam_Irl_NA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Angreal wrote:
Liam_Irl_NA wrote:Awesome - I see quite a few around and the odd time get approached but most of ones I see look tired and old which is a shame! Will be good have another clean example floating around 8)
Outside of my car isn't exactly clean (cleaner than Furai's though) :p Inside definitely is though but I guess I'm after that stealth look with peeling paint ;)
Sounds pretty similar to my car at the moment... Pull up beside the bogan rollers and they think I'm in just another lowered mx5 and start laughing - that is until their jaw drops as we dissapear into the distance!

Junkwhale
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Junkwhale » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 pm

fug yez!

I'm in christchurch for a few months, but once I'm back up in Welly i'm definitely keen for any kind of meets/events.

Liam_Irl_NA

Post by Liam_Irl_NA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Awesome 8)

I'd happily volunteer myself to organise some meets/events once we get a few cars. Unless of course someone else really wanted to but no problem for me(Good way to pass some time when I should be working!)

Keep an eye out for me, BRG NA - GRU671 :evil:

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Mine's the red one with the loud exhaust and induction sucking noise and flaking red paint.

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Liam_Irl_NA wrote:Awesome 8)

Just as well your plate is not GRU822 or i might call the patent attorney. :wink:

Liam_Irl_NA

Post by Liam_Irl_NA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Angreal wrote:Mine's the red one with the loud exhaust and induction sucking noise and flaking red paint.
Mine has a rather subtle exhaust but when you start to hear the turbo spooling up then you know it's me. MazdaSpeed style front lip too. I also have a well co-ordinated black boot!

Liam_Irl_NA

Post by Liam_Irl_NA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:00 pm

GRUVBB wrote:

Just as well your plate is not GRU822 or i might call the patent attorney. :wink:
Don't worry I have no intentions of steeling your identity... Trying to think up of my own personalised plate(Back home you cannot choose so it will be a bit of a novelty!

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Liam_Irl_NA wrote:
GRUVBB wrote:

Don't worry I have no intentions of steeling your identity... Trying to think up of my own personalised plate(Back home you cannot choose so it will be a bit of a novelty!
I wanted FWD so I can confuse people...

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:02 am

my car came with the personalized plate already, but if I was to get one I would go for "DERRP" or "HURDUR"

MattNA8
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by MattNA8 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:01 am

I'm in Palmy, but would be happy to come to a meet in Wellington. Gonna be tough this week and next, but I'm free on weekends after that!

Cheers,
-Matt

Liam_Irl_NA

Post by Liam_Irl_NA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:15 pm

MattNA8 wrote:I'm in Palmy, but would be happy to come to a meet in Wellington. Gonna be tough this week and next, but I'm free on weekends after that!

Cheers,
-Matt
I was actually planning to head up Palmy ways over the next few weeks as never really driven up those ways.. You guys have many nice roads up there?

Liam_Irl_NA

Post by Liam_Irl_NA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:21 pm

MrGrey wrote:my car came with the personalized plate already, but if I was to get one I would go for "DERRP" or "HURDUR"
"ONDASS" is tempting but then again 899$ is enough for many a mod.... Hmmmmm

MattNA8
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by MattNA8 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Liam_Irl_NA wrote:
MattNA8 wrote:I'm in Palmy, but would be happy to come to a meet in Wellington. Gonna be tough this week and next, but I'm free on weekends after that!

Cheers,
-Matt
I was actually planning to head up Palmy ways over the next few weeks as never really driven up those ways.. You guys have many nice roads up there?
Sadly, nothing as nice as the Wellington area. When you head up though, take Paekakariki Hill Rd. in Porirua--it'll hook back up to 1 and is a really fun road that lasts quite a while. I have to say it's a bit more fun going from Palmy to Wellington on that road though, as it's mostly downhill. In Palmy itself it's just a lot of straight back roads from what I've seen, lol. If you keep going a bit and head towards Taupo on 1, then take 49 to 4 on your way back you should have a bit of fun too. I always like driving on 4 and you don't see too many cops out that way. A bit more of a dangerous road that's still really good fun if you're careful is taking Waiaruhe Rd/Owhakura Rd/Whagaehu Valley Rd/Fields Track to hook up to 4 from 1. This is a great road but it's pretty narrow, mostly unmarked, and a bit rough in a couple of areas. That being said it's pretty remote, beautiful, and nice and twisty for what feels like forever. Just beware of oncoming cars as there are a number of blind turns and people will often drive near dead center on that road, lol. Have fun!

Cheers,
-Matt
Last edited by MattNA8 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joanie
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Wellington Area Meet

Post by joanie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Head out to the Wairarapa, once you are over the Rimutakas there are heaps of back roads, no cops plenty of corners real main jet stuff
:D

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:34 pm

If you use my GPS it takes you through the back roads via some towns I've never heard of between sh1 and palmy

*Edit*

I believe the GPS took me down Otara Road, Mangamako Road, Rangiwahia Road to Ashurst. First 70% of that drive was a lot of fun :D

Based on the squiggles on the map, Erewhon Road (north of Palmy) looks a lot of fun as does Tiriraukawa Road. I dunno, pretty sure you guys must have some good roads with a bit of exploring :wink:

Return to “MX5 Discussion”