Engine whine.

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

jakx784
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Engine whine.

Post by jakx784 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi there,

Recently did a Cambelt change on my 92' na mx5 (Cambelt, water pump, seals, accessory belts tensioner/idler etc. were all replaced). I then had to fix the common problem with the t-piece coming off the bottom half of the thermostat housing. All done and dusted I thought.

When I had gotten the car up to temperature to bleed the cooling system the car made a whine from what seemed like the cam cover. It responded to revs (higher the revs, the more high pitched it became). I left it overnight and I started the car, noise was still there but much quieter. I took off the cam cover and nothing seems wrong. Cambelt is intact/proper tension.

We tried very briefly running it without the power steering belt on and it still made the noise.

It sounded like belt rub, or something but I just ordered direct replacements for all the accessory belts and as I said I could see nothing wrong with the Cambelt or tensioner/idler.

If anyone could lend some advice on what might be the Issue I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S
I apologize if this is the wrong thread but I'm new here and I honestly just need some help.

samjewel

Re: Engine whine.

Post by samjewel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:15 pm

That's some nice observation right there. I kinda got an idea what to be cautious of next. Thanks.

Sam J.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:24 pm

That's normal for a new belt. I replaced mine a few weeks ago and the new one had more of a whine... After a few kms it quietened down.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

RickDangerous

Post by RickDangerous » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:13 pm

Hello,

It sounds like you've already done a thorough job. Given the symptoms you've described, there are a few possibilities you may want to explore:
  • Belt Alignment or Tension: Double-check the alignment and tension of all the belts, including the newly replaced accessory belts. Incorrect tension or misalignment can lead to unusual sounds. Ensure they are properly tensioned and aligned according to your car's specifications.

Accessory Components: While you've replaced the belts, it's worth inspecting the individual components driven by those belts. Check the power steering pump, alternator, and other accessories to ensure there are no issues with bearings or other components that could produce a whining noise.

Pulley Issues: Inspect the various pulleys in the system. A damaged or misaligned pulley can cause noise. Spin each pulley by hand to check for smooth rotation without any grinding or unusual resistance.

Camshaft/Crankshaft Issues: Since you mentioned the noise seemed to come from the cam cover area, it's possible there could be an issue with the camshaft or crankshaft. Inspect these components for any signs of damage or wear.

Oil Level and Quality: Ensure the engine oil level is correct and that you are using the recommended oil for your Mazda MX-5. Inadequate lubrication can lead to unusual noises.
I am leaving this here in case there is someone else with a similar problem! :)

RIck from BizDb NZ

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”