Size for Exhaust?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

VIKING RACING
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Size for Exhaust?

Post by VIKING RACING » Sat May 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Will make a new Exhaust system, so the qustion is.
Are a 2.5" pipe size enough?
and does anyone know about a good place to buy ready made bends here in Auckland?
John
JOHN
Koni . Eibach , MazdaSpeed roll bar, Jackson Racing Chassi Braces, ENKEI blingwheels :), TURBO+go fast stripes

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Size for Exhaust?

Post by jif » Sat May 12, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi John

2.5" is meant to be fine up to ~300 rwhp, so unless you've gone upgrade crazy lately ;) it should be plenty !

Incidentally I was talking to the guys at Al's mufflers and lightweight Ti (titanium) tubing is $80/m ... <nudge nudge>

-jeff

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Trevor » Sat May 12, 2007 7:23 pm

Do not be conned into thinking that "big bore" is the way to go. Designing an exhaust system requires expertise. Do some reading, and not blurb from advertisers, or the magazines which tout for there advertising money.

Off hand I would say that a 2.5 inch pipe is too large, and will not allow you to achieve correct resonance.
Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I was happy to warm my cold feet in a cow pat, but I detest bull$hit. LOL

jif

Size for Exhaust?

Post by jif » Sat May 12, 2007 7:42 pm

On 12/05/07, Trevor <horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz (horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
Do not be conned into thinking that "big bore" is the way to go. Designing an exhaust system requires expertise. Do some reading, and not blurb from advertisers, or the magazines which tout for there advertising money.

Off hand I would say that a 2.5 inch pipe is too large, and will not allow you to achieve correct resonance.
unless there's a turbo bolted to the block ... ;) ( ... is that still the case John? )

Anthug
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Anthug » Sat May 12, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi,

2.5" for 1.6 turbo and 3" for 1.8 turbo.

2" otherwise.

Stainless sounds nice.

anthony.

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Trevor » Sat May 12, 2007 9:15 pm

Anthug wrote:Hi,

2.5" for 1.6 turbo and 3" for 1.8 turbo.

2" otherwise.

anthony.
A turbocharged engine, obviously does not have a tuned exhaust system. As there was no reference to a turbo I assumed a naturally aspirated engine was involved. In this event 2" should be fair enough.

Trevor. *<)
Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I was happy to warm my cold feet in a cow pat, but I detest bull$hit. LOL

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun May 13, 2007 6:04 pm

yup stay with 2.5" pipe for the turbo. But make sure that the bends are MANDREL or pretty damn close to it...crappy press bends will loose you around 30% flow on a 90 degree bend and there are at least two of those on the car (in and out of the rear muffler) you may even want to ramp up to 3" past the diff for those bends and the rear muffler.

Im running a 2.5" mandrel system with a 18" cobie resonator and a rear muffler designed for rotaries! (boy racer at heart!) then to a 95mm chrome tip.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”