6 Speed transplant

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

6 Speed transplant

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Has anyone fitted an NB 6 speed into an NA, or know of any web articles on this subject....??
Would also be keen to make contact with anyone who is using an NA in competition who may have considered this mod....
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi Ian

If you don't mind my two cents worth. I've just bought an NB 6 speed and I think they box sucks, the 6th speed is the same as a normal 5 speed everything is just closer ratio.

The down side is instinct no longer works as to what gear you are in. 6th and 4th are just confusing when you put your hand down on the gear shift.

Plus as 6th is effectively in place of reverse they have had to make the sideways movement smaller to fit in the 3 forward gears (1st-2nd,3rd-4th, 5th-6th) but with reverse still back and left. So it's incredably easy to to screw up when changing down from 6th into 4th (5th really is a waste of time) as even the slightest hint of a push left and you are into second.... not good at 80+Km/hr.

Sure I will get used to it and then get confused driving a 5 speed. But I really think they have no tollerance for error and would be a pain on the track. I would be pretty happy to go back to a 5 speed gear box.

Gazza
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:56 pm

Gazza...really appreciate your comments.
Leaving aside the 6th gear for a moment...I would anticipate only using 1st through 5th on Ruapuna with a 6sp box (given the final drive etc I have), or 4 speeds in my present box. I was figuring that is this case, having 5 gears to use would be an advantage...
Any other comments?

Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Bluesgeek
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Bluesgeek » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:43 pm

I haven't found any advantage having 6 gears in our NC over the standard NA 5 speed gearbox.... yet... Its unfortunate having the reverse where it is, it's take a couple of weeks to really get used to it :(

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”