Should I plumb the turbo into the cooling system?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm

I've just got an NB 1800 with a HKS turbo kit that was installed in Japan, Garret T25G with HKS spec internals (or so they say). Since coming to NZ has had an intercooler fitted. Fuel ignition control is from an HKS Fcon Mini piggyback ECU alongside the stock ECU.

If anyone has any information on these ECU's I'd be greatful.

The T25G has sockets for water cooling, but they are nt installed. I have spoken to a couple of people who "do know" turbos, and they said if I'm not on a race track they wouldn't bother and it doesn't really help run down times at all. Plus it doesn't make it much cooler under the bonnet.

This was more of an issue with older oils due to their coking (sp?) problems, not a problem with modern synthetics.

Any thoughts?

Benefits,
If I plumb into the heater pipe, then the heater would warm up quicker on cold days :lol:
A very slight air inlet temp decrease may occur.

Disadvantages,
Higher load on the radiator.
Mildly cooler Turbo.

Has anyone got a radiator from an NB auto they don't happen to be using? As these are about a 1/3 thicker than stock.

Cheers

Gazza
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Gazza

I don't know if the NB auto radiator is the same as an NA auto but I have recently replaced mine with a big Koyo so the NA is for sale.

Keith

poison

Post by poison » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:14 pm

Hi Keith

Sadly ithe NA is a little different in its mounting points. But thanks for the offer.

You must be finished and back on the road (track) by now.

What are your thoughts on the plumbing issue also what about the plastic underbody splash guard, have you used with and without? Any difference?

Cheers

Gazza
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi Gazza

I don't really know about the plumbing. I haven't connected it up on my T28, and so far everything is fine. I am using Mobil 1, which I always used on my rotary engines and found great, and always let the engine idle for a good while after coming off the track.
The big difference between track and road turbo use however is that I would expect to have to overhaul the turbo each season whereas on the road you want to fit and forget.

I took the plastic splashguard off when I fitted the new nose and the aluminum undertray/splitter so I don't know what effect it has. However, the aluminium undertray which channels cold air over the sump sure keeps the oil cool. I had to cover up the oil cooler at Taupo the oil was so cold.
Cheers
Keith

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:40 pm

The point of the splash tray is to create a low pressure area behind the radiator which improves airflow through the radiator. in an MX5, its easy to get air into the nose of the car but difficult to get it out, this creates a high pressure in the engine bay and slows flow through the radiator, hampering cooling. Having said that, i took off my splash tray when i put the turbo in and havent put it back on yet(on my "to do list") and i havent had any overheating problems.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”