Custom Manifold?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

VitalSkull
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by VitalSkull » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 pm

SLYDIT wrote:seriously Vita. i would put the turbo on hold until you have had the car for a while...get the suspension and tires and brakes up to scratch and learn to drive the thing at a trackday before going tits in on a turbo.
I am all for turbos but getting to know the car before it becomes a weapon is probably a good thing.
yeah that probally sounds like a good plan, I have been looking Into coilovers and brakes. also brases. And alot more but it will all be over time.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:04 pm

in an mx5, GOOD suspension and a good lightweight 15" wheel with 205/50 quality rubber makes a MAAAAAAASIVE difference to how the car behaves. as a bit of a giude here is a good list of mods in order.

1) decent 15" wheel/tire package.
2) suspension :a used set of tein or ohlins would be nice but even "standard" bilsteins can be modded for a decent setup pretty cheap.(have a read on fat cat motorsport about mx5 suspension...its not like most cars.)
3)Roll bar. necessary for track days and general safety if you end up shiny side down.
4) subframe braces.
5) Brake Master cylinder brace/braided lines and decent fast road brake pads
6) lightened 1800 size flywheel with a decent 1 ton clutch from autoclutch or similar.

7) TUUUUUUUURRRBO!
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 pm

VitalSkull wrote:
SLYDIT wrote:seriously Vita. i would put the turbo on hold until you have had the car for a while...get the suspension and tires and brakes up to scratch and learn to drive the thing at a trackday before going tits in on a turbo.
I am all for turbos but getting to know the car before it becomes a weapon is probably a good thing.
yeah that probally sounds like a good plan, I have been looking Into coilovers and brakes. also brases. And alot more but it will all be over time.
I can say speaking from experience that driving a turbo 5 with crappy brakes IS NOT FUN at all.
good pads can be had from "rockauto" on the web. i just bought a good set of stoptech street performance pads from them . braided lines from goodwin racing. master cylider brace from...well i might be making up a few soon so stay tuned.
RED '90 TURBO.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Put me in for a master cylinder brace
warrior

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21 pm

i could not believe the difference it made in pedal feel when i built/installed mine...its like going from rubber lines to braided lines. the pedal feel is awesome.
RED '90 TURBO.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Can u make me one?
warrior

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm

i'm gonna try making up a cutting jig for the plasma cutter, and a manufacturing jig to see if i can whip them up in a decent amount of time. i wont be doing this until august as i need to get my act together and make my roll bar and sort my brake master as i think its leaking internally.
RED '90 TURBO.

VitalSkull
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by VitalSkull » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm

SLYDIT wrote:in an mx5, GOOD suspension and a good lightweight 15" wheel with 205/50 quality rubber makes a MAAAAAAASIVE difference to how the car behaves. as a bit of a giude here is a good list of mods in order.

1) decent 15" wheel/tire package.
2) suspension :a used set of tein or ohlins would be nice but even "standard" bilsteins can be modded for a decent setup pretty cheap.(have a read on fat cat motorsport about mx5 suspension...its not like most cars.)
3)Roll bar. necessary for track days and general safety if you end up shiny side down.
4) subframe braces.
5) Brake Master cylinder brace/braided lines and decent fast road brake pads
6) lightened 1800 size flywheel with a decent 1 ton clutch from autoclutch or similar.

7) TUUUUUUUURRRBO!
Thanks for this :D ill definitely have a look at roll bar and for the flywheel ill have to find out some information scene as i dont no a lot about them :P

JazzLopez
Tentative sideways sliding....

water meth kit

Post by JazzLopez » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:14 pm

the unit i bought of ebay,, its a coolingmist product

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Same as mine. Are you running it with an intercooler?
warrior

JazzLopez

intercooler

Post by JazzLopez » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 pm

no, i have short fast flow 2 inch ali pipe, an intercooler too restrictive

Teamjelly
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Teamjelly » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Intercooler too restrictive ???
Yeah don't know about that - Flys in the face of all research and conventional thinking over the last 60 years
I've measured pre and post intercooler boost pressures on my setup and there's only 1psi drop at 18psi.
While the charge temp goes from 116'C to 54'C
Pretty good improvement in anybodys book

check out the F1 intercooler setups for some ideas on low restriction

Water injection is useful- I use it on my Supercharged LExus setups, but it can't ever compare to a decent Air to air setup.
Now using both intercooler and water injection - that's a good idea.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

JazzLopez

intercooler

Post by JazzLopez » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 pm

ok jared, answer this one, what did turbo setups use before inter-coolers came along?

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 pm

He he
warrior

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Yeah Jared, clearly you don't know what you're talking about :roll: !

Edit: Can't you see he's too busy for the numerous offers of free dynos!

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Yeah jared, my vacume cleaner says it has turbo power and it does not have a intercooler. Answer that!
warrior

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Re: intercooler

Post by siren676 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 pm

JazzLopez wrote:ok jared, answer this one, what did turbo setups use before inter-coolers came along?
Less boost and proper engine management
1990 NA6C MX5

jtsoldier
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Re: intercooler

Post by jtsoldier » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 pm

JazzLopez wrote:ok jared, answer this one, what did turbo setups use before inter-coolers came along?
The thing is, that intercoolers did come along.

In other news, I'm getting rid of my car entirely, because horses. That is all.

Teamjelly

Post by Teamjelly » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Jazz - that's toooo easy

How do manufacturers cool engines, and have been for the last century
With Radiators perhaps?

Now isn't an intercooler just a slight variance on a radiator

Lets not forget that superchargers were well in abundance before turbo technology - and there are numerous cases of crude intercooling on them

WWII Fighterplanes used supercharged intercooled engines - Lockheed P38 for example

It's not really a case of chicken or the egg

As for the vacuum cleaner, it's obviously a Chinese copy instead of the genuine Garrett Version so expect the bearings to go when you clean the carpet this weekend -
I used to have a Turbo II toaster from Briscos (they had a sale on) but when I tried water injection on that - it just made the toast all soggy - so intercooling all the way. :lol:
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

JazzLopez

intercoolers are fine

Post by JazzLopez » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 pm

yes they are fine, i prefer a faster method of cooling charge air..and at less cost, but yup some guys like to use air to air or water to air ic...just more dollars and more pipework, more bends more restrictive flow, i prefer new f1 methods of thinking, works for me, but its not for everyone

JazzLopez

intercooler theory

Post by JazzLopez » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:58 am

trust me i did ponder a long time before not deciding to go with one, water radiators are designed for slow moving dense water that trickles down, so cooling is possible, but air going through a air to air ic is moving soooo fast i don't think its efficient to cool it down, its more like a line blockage to me,,,, water gaseous mist is the best way to cool down the air charge, the new f1 cars are chucking away the intercoolers, and are redisigning hho mist through the more efficient pipework.... mist is better than inter coolers i think, but that's just a theory

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:43 am

I know that in F1 this year that some teams are using a split turbo which means the intake air isn't cooked by the exhaust heat which in turn means smaller intercoolers and less weight, as well as shorter intake paths. Pretty awesome technology... Next year all teams will likely go with split turbos since it's logical.

Mercedes are very interesting though and use air-water-air intercoolers which keeps the design compact and intake paths shorter again, and since water has a higher thermal capacity than air which is great for absorbing heat it means they can run a small radiator in their side pod for the intercooler which is located above the drivers head inside the intake. All F1 teams have intercoolers though, just some teams are a lot more refined with their designs.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/racing-n ... -packaging
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1179.html

And now this is where I ask if Donovan can do me a favour and put a split turbo onto his V8 beast 8) You'll shred tyres so quickly

built4speed
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by built4speed » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

From my own testing lag is way over dramatised. I cut 6-800mm out of my evos intercooler piping and had little to no effect on spool time in our datalogs. I then upgraded from a 600x300 75mm thick intercooler to a 100mm model and made more power and spooled faster even with the larger volume. We dropped 20-30 degrees off our peak air temps with it which would explain the power increase.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:53 pm

why is this even an arguement?

its a road car. not F1.
further more its a road car made from generally mismatched parts (I.E not PERFECTLY suited to the car).

we are talking about not much HP difference in the setups. if like my setup is not 100% efficient...just turn the freakin boost up a bit.
In a road car there is nothing wrong with intercoolers. My car snaps to full boost in an instant at anything over 3000 rpm when the pedal is floored, whats better than that?
seriously i think people over think this shit WAAAAAY too much.
get a reasonable sized turbo, on pretty much any half decent log manifold,pair it with a sensible intercooler and engine management...job done...good result....great fun. seriously i dont give a fuck if my car "could've" made 10 extra HP at a certain boost if i used a better manifold of what ever.
RED '90 TURBO.

evel
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by evel » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:13 pm

SLYDIT wrote:why is this even an arguement?
Exactly, this is VitalSkulls thread and we are trying to lead him away from a turbo for a while, so lets just stop talking about it.
'94 S-Special 1800 in BLACK
Flares and 225/45 Semi Slicks.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”