Bonnet air-flow characteristics of "MY" car

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Furai
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Furai » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:42 pm

That isnt what I asked for, had nothing to do with my car at all? :?: :?:

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 pm

It has everything to do with your car.

If you actually want a hardtop spoiler to be functional, you obviously want to reduce drag. Reducing drag means putting on a splitter, airdam, flat undertray, diffuser, side skirts and wing. All of which will have no help with you going sideways (The wing might, not sure).

That is aero principle. Sure it isn't for your car, but the theory is still VERY relevant, as are the materials used.

FWIW, optimal diffuser angle on an MX-5 according to my maths/research is somewhere between 4-11 degrees depending on downforce/drag requirements

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:It has everything to do with your car.

If you actually want a hardtop spoiler to be functional, you obviously want to reduce drag. Reducing drag means putting on a splitter, airdam, flat undertray, diffuser, side skirts and wing. All of which will have no help with you going sideways (The wing might, not sure).

That is aero principle. Sure it isn't for your car, but the theory is still VERY relevant, as are the materials used.

FWIW, optimal diffuser angle on an MX-5 according to my maths/research is somewhere between 4-11 degrees depending on downforce/drag requirements
I wont put one on they are ugly :P

I asked for a pic of one on a time attack car that you said you had seen heaps on. Mainly for the people with more serious cars contemplating it.

Mine will never be a time attack car!

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Like I said, can't find the link using my phone. Will do it tomorrow.

If someone genuinely wants to go fast and needs aero advice, the hard top spoiler is 10/10 on the list. There's 9 important steps first...

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Cool find them ;)

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:04 am

Snapfrozen wrote:Like I said, can't find the link using my phone. Will do it tomorrow.

If someone genuinely wants to go fast and needs aero advice, the hard top spoiler is 10/10 on the list. There's 9 important steps first...
Faster car or motorbike being step one? :wink: man seen too many Ferraris and Lamborghini's in Europe that I expect I'll have one too in the near future :roll: one day...

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:04 am

The car isn't the problem. Their drag coefficient isn't too bad (easily fixed with $500 bucks of materials and some DIY skill. They just don't have the hp to maintain speed and keep pulling at high RPM

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”