Turbo - Boost control.

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Turbo - Boost control.

Post by Mad Kiwi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 am

Anyone have any experience with boost management, electronic or manual...?

I want to start raising the boost a little from the 6 ish I currently have to around 8-9.

It looks like AEM do a gauge/controller unit with some nice features but any reviews i have found are old and not especially favourable.....

I have zero experience with turbo systems so welcome any thoughts, ideas, ramblings on the matter!

For the sake of clarity please qualify with "I have used" or "I have read" :D

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:06 am

I have an AEM gauge plus a wide band o2 sensor that i got from FM.

Seems to work fine as far as read-out goes but because my engine was on the way out i couldn't really tune it to what i would have liked as it was changing read-out values too quickly. I was running 10psi boost.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Was that just a gauge or did you have a boost adjustment "knob" with it?

I sort of like the electronic concept, set it and forget it. It manages the situation if something changes, whereas manual can go high (or low) if you have any kind of problem...and requires monitoring of the gauge to keep an eye on things...

Is that sort of right?

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:24 pm

I've got a RacePro manual boost controller on the race car.
I was initally concerned that it might change, but in 6 years of racing the boost is still exactly where I set it.

The advantages of electronic b/c is that it will respond to any spiking in the boost. But if the turbo system is set up properly that shouldn't problem.

If you do decide to go manual, get a quality controller. The cheap ones on Trademe are crap. Martin bought one for his car and the boost spiked like crazy. I ended up making one that was far better than the one he bought.

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Mines just a gauge...no boost control
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks guys, might try manual first and see how it goes. Significant difference in price.....

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Turbo - Boost control.

Post by jif » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:10 pm

I have used ... the electronic control built into the FM-Link with the VJ20 (?) built-in wastegate (ported). The settings prob weren't quite right as it would oscillate between 12 to 15-ish psi at WOT.  Generally didn't have much time to look at the gauge too closely when this was happening ;)

[Posted via external email]

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 am

I run a gfb manual bleed and it works fine. Mind you I'm not running huge boost levels. A little bit of over boost can be a good thing anyway.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:25 am

Slydit, where did you get the gfb one from?

Also, I want to start adding a couple of gauges, boost being one. Any one recommend a good brand and supplier, I am lead to believe the supecheap and repco stocked ones aren't the greatest.....?

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:51 pm

As stated, a quality manual boost tap will hold boost well. The only times I can recall that my boost levels varied, were due to super cold nights, or hot muggy summer days. But that will happen regardless of electric or manual b/c.

If you can afford electronic, it can offer many benefits over manual, mainly:

- Adjustable from inside the cabin (not an issue if you want to set it and forget it)
- You can adjust how violently/hard you want your boost to kick in on WOT. If you're not running higher boost, you won't really notice this anyway.
- Having multiple boost settings. I have 4 on available on my Blitz dual SBC-R. I realistically only use 2 settings: 1) Full boost 1.3 bar that my car was dyno tuned on. 2) 1.1bar daily driving and track abuse so my temps don't rise too quickly. (essentially my right foot becomes my "boost control")
- As Keith mentioned above, reputable boost controllers have a settings to react to boost spikes/over boosting. I have a 1.35 bar warning on mine, which will trigger a warning beeper, and reduce my boost to a reduced amount specified by me (mine drops to 0.9 bar). This is useful for if you're racing, and your eyes/ears aren't paying attention to the warning, it will reduce boost automatically.
- Peak reading. This is a small feature, but one of my most used functions. After a spirited blat of the throttle, you can look back to see what your max boost level was. If it's winter season, and your boost levels creeps up, it's useful to adjust your settings according to your peak.

Bit boring to read, but my 2c :lol:

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Mad Kiwi wrote:Slydit, where did you get the gfb one from?

Also, I want to start adding a couple of gauges, boost being one. Any one recommend a good brand and supplier, I am lead to believe the supecheap and repco stocked ones aren't the greatest.....?
I have a manual boost gauge, and since adding my boost controller, I never look at my boost gauge anymore. Besides, when you're full throttle, probably not a good idea to look down at your gauge.

My EBC can read boost in real time/peak, in Bar/psi. Really replaces the need for a gauge.

On the other hand if you must get a gauge, plenty of electronic ones have the peak function for playback later. Like Defi, can record your needle moving and replay it back to you. But $$$ :roll: :lol:

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 am

I'm seriously considering ditching my boost gauge in favour of a simple over boost light installed in the gauge cluster. I never look at the gauge anyway
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”