What next?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

What next?

Post by warrior » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Need some advice on what direction to take on my car next. I have a 1991 1.6 na with the following mild mods.

1. Home made intake
2. True cold feed sealed box into airfilter (with headlight air feed and temp gauge)
3. RX7 AFM
4. Full stainless exhaust including headers
5. TRACKDOG exhaust heat shield
6. HONDATA Intake poly gasket (to lower intake temp)

So I need advice on what to do next, I have not set up the RX7 AFM for the car yet and I am looking at either doing the ECU mod from Don in hamilton (sorry cant remember there name right now) or I already have a TC2 POWERCARD that adds fuel where you want it right through the rev range.

So what ideas do you guys have? I would guess I need to set up the RX7 AFM but do I install the POWERCARD first or go with the modded ECU?

Not sure where to go and in what order from here.
warrior

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:49 pm

the mx5 runs stupid rich at WOT so putting more fuel in aint a great idea.
Dons ecu mod leans out the mixture by 10% without issue. maybe a mega squirt and a coil on plug upgrade will be a goo base for further mods
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:26 pm

my opinion,Light flywheel ,really wakes them up !,Amazed me when i did mine.
Just hang out for quality,i went TODA ,Chrome moley 3.5 kg,down from 9kg

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 am

It would help others to make suggestions if you posted what you intend to do with your car ie DD, track days, race etc etc and list some of your suspension upgrade to date....
There are plenty of people trying to improve their cars performance while driving round on huge heavy wheels, crap tyres, 20 plus year old shocks and rooted suspension bushes....
For a DD driver, assuming all is well in the suspension dept, on a 91 I would be looking at suspension braces (off the later models), uprated antiroll bars in urethane bushes, a 14 degree timing bump and a light flywheel, as suggested by Brownie, and get rid of any excess weight!! (I have never carried a spare wheel in my car since Day 1...) But as I say, what do you want to do with your car? That is the first question to ask yourself. eg..track time means you should consider the 1.8 brake upgrade before looking for HP, in my opinion...
Nice clean car from the pics by the way....
Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:03 pm

im sorry but I think people have misunderstood my question. I am going to put on the POWERCARD or get the ECU mod from Don in hamilton. I also want to set my RX7 AFM meter to the car.

What I want to know is should I set up the AFM first or after I do the fuel mods and which between the POWERCARD and the ECU mod should I do?

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Just need ideas on the two above mods.
warrior

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 pm

As mentioned by Slydit, the MX5 runs rich anyway so why would you want to add a powercard that adds fuel across the rev range. My understanding is that a Powercard is only required if you are going forced induction with the standard ECU.

The AFM may help and I would probably do that before the ECU mod, which I assume to be the crystal change because that is about all you can do to the ECU.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 pm

The powercard I have is for a N/A car and can add fuel where ever you want it and at diffrent load settings but yes I have heard the cars run rich. Acording to people that have fitted them you can get a good mid range boost buy adding fuel in the mid range.

But it looks like the crystal mod would be the way to go. Maybe I will talk to Don in Hamilton as he seems to be very knowlegable about these mods.

He may even set up the AFM for me.
warrior

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

What next?

Post by jif » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:46 pm

get a megasquirt and 1.8 MAF , flick the other stuff on trademe ? 

The MS is said to be good for a decent handful of hp up top and then you're also set for a turbo once you're done with NA mods ;-]

[Posted via external email]

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 pm

ok time for some basics regarding the ecu...

The mx5 ecu runs closed loop ( tunes off the 02 sensor to acheive the mixture) at light throttle AND AT FULL THROTTLE UP TO 4500 RPM.
so any fuel you try to add below 4500 rpm is then taken away, so its a complete and utter waste of time..
Thats why my car running a piggyback ecu also has an "02 clamp" which tricks the ecu into NOT pulling out the extra fuel.
after 4500rpm the car goes open loop and fuel is injected based on the fixed map and a correction for air temp, and it is way rich...like under 11:1 AFR

The standard mx5 tune is pig rich... i actually run a LEANER mixture with my turbo than the factory NA tune..thats how rich it is.

adding breathing mods to the car is the best thing you can do so it leans out that mixture. adding a powercard or 1800 injectors is a total waste of time, money and fuel.

the crystal mod that Don does will lean the mixture by 10% and advance the timing by (around) 3-4 degrees. it will also increase the rev limit to about 8000rpm.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”