New Mx5 owner

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

New Mx5 owner

Post by Timmo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:33 am

Hey Guys- Thought I better introduce myself :) I'm Tim from the Mount.

I've just bought an immaculate 1996 NA8 M-Edition and am really enjoying it so far. The M-edition means the factory addition of a hardtop, tan leather, full Jasma exhaust, 16" alloys and LSD (?- could someone confirm- I haven't been able to check yet). The car has been maintained well with brand new leather on the seats so I'm looking forward to some trouble free motoring

Up till now I've been a Toyota driver mostly with a couple of MR2's (current car is a 92 MR2 Turbo), a TT Soarer and a few other (boring) cars.

My first impression of the MX-5: Very nicely weighted gearshift and steering...light but precise. The car is well balanced and everything feels 'light' in comparison the MR2. Where with the MR2 you muscle everything: Clutch, steering and gearshift, the '5 is light....this is probably a lot to do with kms (220km vs 125km in the MX5) and engineering needed to handle the power difference (240+ vs 130 hp).

The balance in handling is, of course, much different- My Current MR2 runs fairly agressive springs and larger diameter wheels and tyres. The initial turn in feels less direct than the MX5 but will continue to turn in especially under throttle. It is amazing how much heavier and 'solid' the MR2 feels but the difference is only 250 KG or so. Where the MR2 pounds the road, the MX5 seems to skip over it....

A first I thought power was 'lacking' in the MX5. Whereas the MR2 shoots away from 2500 rpm, there is no one at home in the MX5 until 3500 rpm. It does, however rev smoothly up the rev range like a sports engine should....the 3S-GTE is passed its best over 6000 rpm. So I am still getting used to using revs as opposed to turbo torque but the grin factor is still there even with half the power.

Interior plastics are far less sturdy and well put together than the Toyota- The 17 year old interior in the MR2 still looks and feels solid compared to the flimsy bits in the 12 year old Mazda but I guess weight savings have to come from somewhere.

So all in all, im happy with the new car and I look forward to seeing some of you guys on club runs (perhaps a MR2/MX5 club meet up could be arranged? ;))

Ill add some pictures of the car when I upload them.

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Stevo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:14 pm

:D Welcome Tim. I'm sure you will get plenty of fun from your new car. Please join the club and join us on our many club runs. We normally have a run in the BoP every 4-6 weeks (on a Sunday), depending on the season.
We also have a meal at a local restuarant on the last Thursday of each month. We are a very friendly bunch and look forward to meeting you.

Cheers Stevo
98 NB Evolution Orange

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:41 am

Here are some pics of the old and new :)

Blues Boy
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Blues Boy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:50 am

Nice! That exhaust is definitely not stock though. 8)

Give me a wave if you see a yellow mx around the Mount!
Dave

Quidam
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Quidam » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Great pictures and thanks for posting!

I really like your MR2 and your new MX5.

And we have something in common, as I was a MR2 owner prior to going the MX5 way. With MR2's really aging now, the MX5 is a logical transition.

We've also done things in reverse, I went from a non turbo MR2 to a Turbo MX5. I almost wonder if you might end up investing in an aftermarket turbo upgrade on your MX5 at some stage -there are a few people on this website who could probably help you out with that.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:06 pm

top stuff!!!
mx5s love turbos
my mx5 is way more fun to drive than my mr2 ever was

seems there are afew who have gone from mr to mx

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah well I worked out that the MR2 has cost me the purchase price in repairs over the year and half I've owned it! Ouch!

Hopefully the MX5 is a little cheaper to run (although Ive already had the window winder switch fail on the weekend which meant some roadside repairs in the rain with the window stuck down :()

Quidam
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Quidam » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 am

Yeah, I feel you about MR2 maintenance costs. It was just one thing after another for me -and in the end, it just wasn't worth it any more.

The 5 should be a lot less, as they are a much simpler car (well my Mechanics told me this) and easier to work with. However, yours is pretty old, so it is not surprising certain things are going to start breaking down.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”