New Auckland Member.

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

1UZFE
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

New Auckland Member.

Post by 1UZFE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi guys.

Finally got myself into a 1990 NA 1.6 Eunos Roadster, wanted one for a while and decided now would be the perfect time.

I have been through a series of heavy 1600KG+ V8 barges over the years and got so sick of it. Time for a small nimble car I can enjoy for the driving experience.

Mines is fairly good condition, 1990, 1.6 manual with the hardtop. Stock, just has some random 15" wheels with fairly decent tires and 153k's on the clock. I already love it. Makes me smile in ways all my other cars didn't.

My main goal for early summer and over that period, is to convert it to run a Toyota 1UZFE V8 engine (Lexus V8 ), W58 Supra 5 speed and an RX7 LSD. A chap I know has done the same thing and a few other guys he knows so all the custom parts and what not are easily made through the various fabricators they dealt with.

Shall make quite a car, but for now Ill be casually upgrading the suspension, brakes and few other key parts to prepare it for the big upgrade.

Cheers guys, look forward to being a part of this forum.

Mike.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

New Auckland Member.

Post by jif » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:03 pm

sounds like a plan !

I've actually gone the other way - from a quick little mx5 to a luxobarge ... tho somehow merging the two would be ideal :]  so will be watching your progress with interest.

[Posted via external email]

1UZFE

Post by 1UZFE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:02 am

Haha Cheers mate.

Heres a video of me back last year in my V8 soarer against a friend of mines 1UZFE converted MX5, currently it is in the 12's, soon to be 11s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8hn9UDnQUI

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Stevo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 am

:D I'm keen to follow your progress on this one. I think the 1UZFE would make the ideal transplant. Keen to see photos and costings of this in due course. Cheers Stevo :P
98 NB Evolution Orange

1UZFE

Post by 1UZFE » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:23 am

Thanks Steveo.

I'll be starting with some suspension work first, onto 4 pot brembo brakes, wheels/tires and a custom sway bar over the next few months.

Pretty much get most of it ready so the engine, trans and diff/axles can go in with out a fuss probably, in the new year. Maybe sooner if I'm lucky.. but unfortunately I cant get it done as fast as I would like due to other commitments!

In the mean time Ill be stock piling all he little bits and have the necessary components fabricated so it can go together like lego.

:wink:

MX4000
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by MX4000 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:34 pm

I'd think twice about the RX7 diff. It fits easily enough but the 4.1 ratio is a pain. I'm running a 3.08 Holden - bit high. probably a 3.5 would be ideal. Welded axles didn't last so ended up with gold plated custom ones.

Cheers

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 am

If you haven't seen it already, check out the Engine Conversions forum on Miata.net. While mainly focused around American V8 conversions there is a heap of information in there about what works and what doesn't. There is also a lot of knowledge among the contributors.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

1UZFE

Post by 1UZFE » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Yeah MX4000 I dont mind the low ratio, suits motorway travelling better for my use, but I would agree with you. Might be an idea to look at something around the high 3 range for when taking it on a track.

I will get some pictures of this car soon.
Attachments
P1010041.JPG
P1010042.JPG
P1010043.JPG
P1010050.JPG

Return to “Off Topic Chat”