Best MX5 generation

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Tue May 21, 2013 9:52 am

brownie wrote:But too much electrical gear to mess with for fun's sake,Try putting a non airbag steering wheel on..legally.
I'm trying to do this at the moment from what I read

Some modifications are permitted, but they must always be LVV certified. The only modifications permitted are:

1. fitting a switch to render an airbag temporarily inoperable, and

2. the removal or permanent deactivation of an airbag in a vehicle that:
- is at least 14 years old, or
- has been adapted for a person with a disability, or
- has been extensively modified for motorsport use.

To be Certified the car must
have all OE signs, lights, or other devices that indicated the vehicle was fitted with an airbag removed, or if the signs, lights, or other devices cannot be readily removed, have a label that indicates an airbag has been removed permanently attached in a prominent location where it is clearly visible to any occupant of the seating position that was previously protected by the airbag

So basically you can put a non-airbag steering wheel on but the car must be older than 14 years and it requires a cert, And to get a cert ALL airbag equipment, wires, lights and sensors must be removed completely and also all stickers stating the car is airbag equipped must be removed.

chris
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by chris » Tue May 21, 2013 9:56 am

Kieran wrote:
brownie wrote:But too much electrical gear to mess with for fun's sake,Try putting a non airbag steering wheel on..legally.
I'm trying to do this at the moment from what I read

Some modifications are permitted, but they must always be LVV certified. The only modifications permitted are:

1. fitting a switch to render an airbag temporarily inoperable, and

2. the removal or permanent deactivation of an airbag in a vehicle that:
- is at least 14 years old, or
- has been adapted for a person with a disability, or
- has been extensively modified for motorsport use.

To be Certified the car must
have all OE signs, lights, or other devices that indicated the vehicle was fitted with an airbag removed, or if the signs, lights, or other devices cannot be readily removed, have a label that indicates an airbag has been removed permanently attached in a prominent location where it is clearly visible to any occupant of the seating position that was previously protected by the airbag

So basically you can put a non-airbag steering wheel on but the car must be older than 14 years and it requires a cert, And to get a cert ALL airbag equipment, wires, lights and sensors must be removed completely and also all stickers stating the car is airbag equipped must be removed.
Well, you can be "disabled" at times ;)
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Tue May 21, 2013 11:59 pm

depends on how much you have drunk and if you should really be driving then :)

Return to “Off Topic Chat”