MX-5 Real Time Chat

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

MX-5 Real Time Chat

Post by Okibi » Fri May 19, 2006 3:11 am

If you are also keen to "real time" chat to MX-5 / Miata owners world wide check out.

A huge thank you to those members of the NZ e-mail list who have already given the chat a try.

http://www.mx5club.com.au/chat/
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Fri May 19, 2006 3:56 pm

The chat's ok... but it probably needs more input... maybe if more people joined? :)
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Okibi » Fri May 19, 2006 4:31 pm

I'm trying to get more people involved. :lol:
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Fri May 19, 2006 4:44 pm

Yeah I know you are and I'll halp out whenever I can ;)
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Wed May 24, 2006 12:34 am

Does it have to be a browser plugin?

I dont have Java and I'll confess I really cant be assed installing it.

The joys of my Gentoo Linux system, its minimal, does what I want and only what I want.

The down side: because im lazy i dont get java-based web-chat sites :p
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Okibi » Wed May 24, 2006 3:07 am

If you don't want to get java you could download an IRC client like Mirc, connect to one of the Oz.Org servers, then join #MX5.

But if you can't be bothered to wait the few minutes it takes to install java, then all of the above might be too much work for you too.

Gort
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by Gort » Wed May 24, 2006 8:09 am

Okibi wrote:If you don't want to get java you could download an IRC client like Mirc, connect to one of the Oz.Org servers, then join #MX5.

But if you can't be bothered to wait the few minutes it takes to install java, then all of the above might be too much work for you too.
It's not a question of laziness. He's chosen a flavour of linux that is compiled from source. The source code to java, whilst available, is not considered free (yet). It's great that it's an IRC client, so if we really want to do the real time thing, we can. Then again there is always the telephone.

Isn't there some sort of ajax/javascript client that could do this, instead of a full blown jws app? IRC ain't exactly complex.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed May 24, 2006 12:04 pm

Gort wrote:It's not a question of laziness. He's chosen a flavour of linux that is compiled from source. The source code to java, whilst available, is not considered free (yet). It's great that it's an IRC client, so if we really want to do the real time thing, we can. Then again there is always the telephone.

Isn't there some sort of ajax/javascript client that could do this, instead of a full blown jws app? IRC ain't exactly complex.
Next you'll tell me you think emacs is bloated ;)

Actually, I have got java installed (FC4, 64bit - Suns java) so had a look at the chat engine. I eventually seemed to kill firefox completely (likely more of a 64 bit firefox/java bug), but before it did I could see that I think a simple IRC client would be easier and faster. (It also seems to have problems with its digital signature?). It was however pretty, had lots of ability to change colours, look at who is logged in, and had a nice MX5 Club of Western Australia logo in the background so is well integrated to the overall website. It is even GPL'd software!

However, (personal opinions only here!) I have never understood real time chat for this type of info though... how many knowledgeable MX5 people would be sitting around waiting for a question to be asked? Email lists, and Forums allow people to post a question, and there is a nice amount of time for anyone who wants to to read and post a response over a few days. Then there is also the history aspect - posts are more easily archived, formatted for future generations.

I'm sure real time chat is fun though... and in a situation where you have to know what brand tyre to buy because it is 10 to midday and you are about to buy 4 tyres in your lunch hour - maybe someone is standing by waiting for your message...? ;)

I'm guessing then in the majority of cases that that the market for people who want real time chat about MX5s probably suits what is installed i.e. a nice full featured java client that just runs when they click a link in their windows based browser. People with more technical knowledge, who really want to talk in the MX5 chatroom can use whatever IRC tools they like.

cheers
(z)

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Okibi » Wed May 24, 2006 1:57 pm

zorruno wrote:..I'm guessing then in the majority of cases that that the market for people who want real time chat about MX5s probably suits what is installed i.e. a nice full featured java client that just runs when they click a link in their windows based browser. People with more technical knowledge, who really want to talk in the MX5 chatroom can use whatever IRC tools they like.

cheers
Exactly,

I chose to keep things simple so that almost anyone had the ability log in and chat.

If you want to use your own IRC client then you also have that option.

The room originally started as a “userplane” chat room but we found that also had its limits.

Apart from the time difference between Australia and you guys in N.Z. there’s usually people hanging around idle even if they’re not chatting.

You will get a better and more detailed response to an enquiry on a forum, but i’m always happy to give advice but there’s also guys who’ve built their own engines/turbo kits etc. We’ve got an admin who’s an ex Mazda Australia employee and he’s very knowledgeable about many things Mazda.

As most of you are enthusiasts I’m sure you’ll agree that being part of any MX-5 club is more than just the cars, it’s about the people you meet and the friendships you form.

So give the chat room a shot and meet a few interesting people, and me. :lol:

Gort

Post by Gort » Thu May 25, 2006 8:38 am

zorruno wrote:
Gort wrote: Isn't there some sort of ajax/javascript client that could do this, instead of a full blown jws app? IRC ain't exactly complex.
Next you'll tell me you think emacs is bloated ;)
I tried using emacs during my time as a design engineer at TEL. It drove me nuts. Randomly closing buffers it thought i wasn't using anymore when i cranked up the debugger and ran out of space, rendering fonts and syntax highlighting in the most unusual way. I stuck with it (even trying viper mode) for at least a month, which was what i thought was a fair trial. In the end, i decided that you either learn emacs properly, or vi(m) properly, choose one. I did miss the debugger, but hey, there are replacements.

Of course when i've got my Java hat on, it's Eclipse i want to use. Makes emacs look like a lean machine, but Java needs it. :)

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Thu May 25, 2006 11:46 pm

An IRC client I have, what distro would be complete without one.

Been a while since I was lurking in the love-sources room though, since they discontinued it.

And yes, 64-bit Gentoo, and I cant be assed playing around with Java in Firefox etc.

However Im going off-track here.

Ive seen many car-related forums ask for a Real-time Chat feature. They never work!

So much easier to use Forums, more chance of a response because people can see what you've said a day down the track... and I just find forums to be more *fun*!
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Okibi » Sat May 27, 2006 1:47 pm

I've sat in Car Related real time chats for years.

I think you need to recalibrate your yard stick to international specification. :P

It's not a forum, it doesn't intend to be a forum. So why compare the two?

(I’m a moderator of several forums, and a member of this forum, I can appreciate the importance of a forum and all the associated issues)

Http://www.mx5club.com.au/chat/

KIJIMA
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by KIJIMA » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:59 pm

Theres usually about 10 or more in there from night to night, talking about almost anything, mostly car related, I would welcome some overseas stories and know how. One of the guys from hear posted some pics of a NZ club run while it was snowing all with roofs down...... :shock: That was amazing. Either way it dosnt matter if its across the tasman or not, we all love MX-5's

Hope to see a few of you soon.

P.S. Last time I was in NZ, I had more of a chance to do a drive around the bottom of the north Island.....you lucky bastards have some NICE roads!

my2cta

Post by my2cta » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:56 am

Next time you come over you'd better make sure you drive around in the South Island instead. The bottom of the North Island roads just don't stack up in comparison. For a start, they have traffic on them...
Tim
MY2CTA

KIJIMA
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by KIJIMA » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:39 pm

Well, I was over for a funeral. Landed in wellington, then dove up to wongnaui. Ont the way back I dorve damn near eveywhere!

The misses is from windy wellington, and she is keen for me to 'do' the south island touristy thing, she reckons you aint seen real NZ till youve seen all the south Is. Looking forward to it, especially milford sound.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”