Where do you live??

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Where do you live??

Post by Stevo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:50 am

:?:
Why dont posters fill in on their profile, what town or city they live in when they join this website:?:
They then go on to post cars or parts for sale in the classified section and we have no idea if we have to go to Kaitaia or Bluff to pick them up.
Do poeple need their privacy so much that they dont want anyone knowing which island they live in or can't they be bothered filling out a simple form :?:
Cheers Stevo
98 NB Evolution Orange

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:23 am

City...I'm mixed on that one, but your example of selling cars is more a reflection of the person placing the add. I would assume it common sense to post the location, it's like someone selling shoes and not putting the size.

Privacy is a tricky one, I'm to the middle right on that. Some of the people I know are extremely private and won't post anything anywhere, while other friends Facebook every hr with every detail of their existence.

I am convinced that in 10 years there will be a huge turn around on internet privacy as criminals take advantage of people sharing every detail. Look at cyber bullying, already a serious issue for kids and some adults too.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Re: Where do you live??

Post by Trevor » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Stevo wrote::?:
Why dont posters fill in on their profile, what town or city they live in when they join this website:?:
They then go on to post cars or parts for sale in the classified section and we have no idea if we have to go to Kaitaia or Bluff to pick them up.
Do poeple need their privacy so much that they dont want anyone knowing which island they live in or can't they be bothered filling out a simple form :?:
Cheers Stevo
I agree and when viewing forums I directly relate personal disclosure with validity in respect of posts. How can a Christian name and approximate address and some background data, lead a criminal to your door? :roll:

There are many public records available which will provide more information than a little non specific, but hopefully honest info, published here.
Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I was happy to warm my cold feet in a cow pat, but I detest bull$hit. LOL

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Thats what I mean Trevor. How can a poster be identified if all he says is he is from Auckland. I am interested in 2 sets of alloys listed in the classifieds but I have no idea which island they are in.
I sent a message to one of them but never got a reply.
Cheers Stevo :?
98 NB Evolution Orange

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Should be no different than Trade Me,As least give a general Area,That way if you are from a different City/Town at least you know you are up for some shipping costs as well.
As far as this site is concerned,Not too many thieves will go out of there way to give us owner's too much grief,More of a opportunity moment than anything,I seen stolen and recovered cars thru work,Flogged for a joy ride and not much more unless they get lucky and find a modified car.
More chance of a Familia being nicked than a MX5.
A name and area can't hurt privacy,after all we are here on common ground looking to make new friends and contacts with a common intrest,We don't HAVE to reply or post if we don't want too,right?? .
There's my 2 bits worth. :)

viscarious
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by viscarious » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:16 am

Stevo wrote:Thats what I mean Trevor. How can a poster be identified if all he says is he is from Auckland. I am interested in 2 sets of alloys listed in the classifieds but I have no idea which island they are in.
I sent a message to one of them but never got a reply.
Cheers Stevo :?
Hey don't know if you were interested in my set, If you were, apologies to no location being in description.

I also see no harm in putting a general idea of where you are from in profile.
It is also handy if you want to meet with fellow enthusiasts to know who is in your location.

Regards
Dave

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:13 pm

viscarious wrote:Hey don't know if you were interested in my set, If you were, apologies to no location being in description.

I also see no harm in putting a general idea of where you are from in profile.
It is also handy if you want to meet with fellow enthusiasts to know who is in your location.

Regards
Dave
Yes Dave, Yours was one of the sets I was looking at. Good to see you have now updated your profile to include your location.
I'm looking at purchasing an NC (and selling the NB) so am putting the replacement rims on hold until I decide whether or not I want to go down that path.
Cheers Stevo 8)
98 NB Evolution Orange

Return to “Off Topic Chat”