Favorite drives around Wellington?

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

emexfive
Tentative sideways sliding....

Favorite drives around Wellington?

Post by emexfive » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:09 am

I'm thinking 45 minutes to half a day sort of drives. Fast roads or gorgeous scenery, or both. I've never been to the area (or any part of NZ!) but I'll be there for a year or more starting in Oct.

Any suggestions for things to do in that area are welcome. Hiking/tramping, art, music, healthy but yummy food etc. Not so much sports and pubs which I guess will present themselves without me needing to look very hard.

Thanks in advance! :D

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:28 pm

There are a few good drives from Wellington, depending on how demanding you want the roads to be or how spirited you feel like driving. Some of the better roads can be a little narrow and winding. A good loop that could be completed in half a day is to drive over the Akatarawa Road from Upper Hutt (about 25 miles north of Wellington) to Waikanae which is on the west coast north of Wellington. From Waikanae head back south down State Highway 1 until you reach Paekakariki where you turn left off the main road and drive over the Paekakariki Hill Road. This is a great hill climb with some spectacular views from the top. On a clear day you can see from Mount Taranaki (Egmont) to the South Island. The road then continues through a winding valley to Pauatahanui (you'll get used to the Maori names) where you have a few options as to how you return to Wellington. Turn right onto Gray's Road which winds around the northern edge of the inlet. Alternatively, carry on to the Haywards Hill Road which, if you turn left takes you over another hill to Lower Hutt or if you turn right it will take you round the southern side of the inlet back to State Highway 1.

If you want a day out, a trip over the Rimutaka Hill Road to the Wairarapa and a visit to the wine region of Martinborough (assuming you are a wine enthusiast as well). Just be careful with the wine tasting as the law are a bit fussy about drink driving and I would hate to see you off the edge of the hill on your way back over the Rimutakas. There are some big drops off that road.

That covers a couple of good runs. There are others that are more local like a drive around the harbour to Eastbourne or even just from the city itself out towards the airport and then round through Shelley Bay to Seatoun and then carry on around the southern end of the airport and around to Island Bay.

Have a hunt from some of the road names on Google maps/earth and that will give you an idea of some of the terrain around Wellington.
Enjoy
Euen
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

emexfive

Post by emexfive » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Excellent! very detailed info. Above and beyond the call of duty Euen. I'll google those and check them out virtually until I get there and get a MX-5 and can see them in person. Looks like I'll arrive Oct 6th. I can't wait!

Euen

Post by Euen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Your arrival date works out very well. You will be in time to catch the Targa NZ which ends in Wellington on the weekend 1/2 November (http://www.targa.co.nz/). Some of the roads I mentioned are rumoured to be used as stages of the rally.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

emexfive

Post by emexfive » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:13 pm

That looks like a lot of fun! They don't have that kind of racing in the US. The lawyers would be circling like sharks! There's always a lot of fence or distance or both between the cars and the spectators over here. The pics of the guy in the lawn chair 5 feet from the road is awesome! I'll have to check that out for sure.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”