New WOF emission tests

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

skams
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

New WOF emission tests

Post by skams » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:17 am

Hi All

I know this won't be a problem for our trusty MXs, but for your info this link gives the requirements for the new WOF smoke testing of vehicles: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/vehicle-e ... -2006.html . of particular note is section 3 which outlines the test, to avoid over revving of the engine which might happen if testers think that all engines must be revved to 2500, :oops: read the proviso for engines which have a maximum speed of less than 5000 RPM. i.e. your precious mini and also a large number of diesels.

Cheers Simon.
skams

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

New WOF emission tests

Post by poison » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:47 pm

Simon Said  "this link gives the requirements for the new WOF smoke testing of vehicles: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/vehicle-e ... -2006.html ..."

My question is, what did it all mean, what a lot of wordy cross referencing crap, I didn't understand a thing.

Gazza

[Posted via External Email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

spotz
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

New WOF emission tests

Post by spotz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:28 pm

3.1 Performance requirements
3.1(1) A motor vehicle to which 1.3(1) applies must not emit clearly visible smoke when the vehicle's engine is running at its normal operating temperature, under either of the following conditions:
* (a) for a continuous period of five seconds when the engine is idling; or
* (b) as the engine is being accelerated to approximately 2500 revolutions per minute or approximately half the maximum engine speed (whichever is lower).

This is designed to make repairers rich. :(

3.1(2) Subclause 3.1(1) does not apply if the driver of the vehicle produces documentation that proves that the engine is original equipment for the vehicle and the engine's design means the motor vehicle cannot reasonably comply.

Gives owners of older vehicles an escape clause.

All up, it's still based on the testers opinion of what is smokey & what isn't.
And what your vehicle was designed to do, not what it's capable of 10 years down the track :(

Those of us here in Wellington have the benefit of going with the wind :wink:
David

skams
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

New WOF emission tests

Post by skams » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:47 pm

Gazza,

As I said it was an info only and the crux of the thing was the test itself which all light vehicles have to undergo as of 1/11/06 - see section 3 of the link with regards to the actual test which of course is very subjective. This is the thin edge of the wedge and another tool to remove older vehicles from our roads, and of interest to you might be the part dealing with modified vehicles.
As always, anything to do with officialdom is designed to confuse, just so you don't know what they're on about thereby keeping you on the back foot - just call me pessimistic.

Cheers Simon

[Posted via External Email]
skams

Return to “Off Topic Chat”