Sluggish reversing

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2001
Mathew

Sluggish reversing

Post by Mathew » Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:13 pm

Nigels "slight hesitation" problem has reminded me of a quirk in my own 90'. When reversing out of my garage and down the driveway the car feels like the brake is slightly on (its not). I only notice it when I reverse straight after starting the vehicle so nothing would have had a chance to warm up properly. I don't think its the handbrake still locking from its overnight rest because its not till I start to get a bit of speed up that it starts getting sluggish. I wondered if it could be the limited slip diff. Someone once told me that if you jack up the back of the car and manually spin one of the rear wheels, the opposite wheel should spin in the same direction if its fitted with a LSD. I tried this and as they both spin the same way I am assuming its got a LSD. I have no idea of how a LSD works or what its internals look like, but is it something that would need to warm up a bit in order to function 100 percent. I remember reading an article about a integra that had a LSD t!
hat would make a clattering noise in reverse and hard cornering and they reckoned it was the way it was supposed to operate. Any ideas??

Return to “2001”