Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2001
Glen McLean

Noise in sill?

Post by Glen McLean » Sat May 12, 2001 10:44 am

I have just bought an mx5.

There is a funny bolt or stone in the sill. It rolls forward under braking,
and back, (under attempts to have fun). It's the most anoying rattle. Is
there a way of gaining entry to the sill?, (left hand). It is getting on my
nerves,(and god knows that i am long to anger).
shall a get ear-plugs, or some medication???

P.S. by the way, hi all

Glen

Nigel Every

Noise in sill?

Post by Nigel Every » Sun May 13, 2001 9:28 am

Hi Glen,
Hope you have many hours of happy motoring out of your nre MX5. It is one of the
best descissions you have ever made to buy one.
Are you sure that the noise is from the sill? It may be from in by the hinge for
the soft top as that is a great place for things such as bolts, nuts or other annoying
items to collect and roll around.
You can get to the sills if you lift the carpet you will see plates that cover holes
to the sills. It will mean removing them by cutting the sealant but at least you
can get access.
Good luck
Regards Nigel

I have just bought an mx5.
[...]

Ray

Noise in sill?

Post by Ray » Mon May 14, 2001 5:08 pm

Glen,
I take it you have taken off the door panel and had a look inside as this is more
than likely where something is laying or loose, and as Nigel says when you gain access
to the sill use a flexible magnet to poke around, another area is the front kick
panel when these get removed the metal clips that attach these get left in the holes
and not on the panel, then kindly drop into the inner wing just as you go to grab
it, once again a flexible magnet will retrieve them, also check around the ECU and
tread panel under the passenger carpet, and under the passenger seat where you will
find a hole in a cross member, it could be in there, gotta lift the carpet for that
one, its unlikely that its in the sill (but anything is possible) another set of
ears also helps.
Ray :-)

[...]

Return to “2001”