Painting a BRG

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Painting a BRG

Post by Mathew » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:48 am

BRG's aren't exactly limited in numbers are they?. Unless I'm very much mistaken, they were never produced in "limited" numbers and Mazda sold as many as they could. They seem to be as common as Red mx5's. I say repaint it something different. As long as the colour is not tacky (Pink!! Mr Dragon) and the painting is of a good standard I don't reckon it would affect the value of the car. Morvens car (repainted dark blue) is a great example of a different colour working beautifully with a tan interior. I do, however agree with Nigel about painting the engine bay. There was (still is?) a white mx5 repainted BRG. It didn't look too bad until you opened the bonnet and saw the white engine bay.
Speaking of paint jobs, I recently saw a R32 Skyline GTR for sale on a local lot and as I was bored I wandered over for a perv. It had been repainted in a quite impressive lime green colour with one of those metallic speckly finishes. The Salesman gave me the sales pitch about how they had spent 5k on the paintjob. They must have paid 4.5k for the paint and $500 for the labour as the paint had been applied so poorly that on a lower part of the car there were easily visible runs in the paint about 3-4cm's long. He then told me that they had also spent over 10k on the engine. But when I asked what mods this entailed and how much performance it gained I discovered it had just been rebuilt to factory spec's. At this point I had to leave as I thought it would have been rude to laugh hysterically in front of him.

M@

Return to “2002”