re[2]: wider wheels (was spacers)

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Post by Mathew » Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:42 am

Wouldn't adding spacers to a 29mm offset wheel be reducing the offset further?

M@

Mathew

Post by Mathew » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:21 pm

That text seems to contradict the diagram. The way I see it is that adding a spacer to a wheel is the equivalent of adding material to the inside of the wheel, therefore reducing the offset distance.
I once spent ages staring at a similar diagram and came to the conclusion that the 10mm spacers I was adding to my 35mm offset wheels would give me a perfect 45 offset and also make the wheels stick out further to fill up my flared guards, but it took that damned know-it-all Gary ;) to point out my error and I had to admit that if I had acheived a 45mm offset my wheels should be tucked up under the guards like a stock mx5 and not poking out considerably more (as they were).

M@

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:10 pm

OK, I think I've sussed it...

Picture the vertical wheel/hub mounting surface as a *fixed* point, which it is. The gap between this and the vertical wheel centreline (CL) is your offset.

Now decrease the gap (offset is smaller), sliding the wheel horizontally towards the *fixed* mounting surface. You can see that this slides the wheel out away from the car! Smaller offset = sticking out wheels ! :)

neato.

Mathew <mathew.avery@deepvideo.com> wrote:That text seems to contradict the diagram. The way I see it is that adding a spacer to a wheel is the equivalent of adding material to the inside of the wheel, therefore reducing the offset distance.
I once spent ages staring at a similar diagram and came to the conclusion that the 10mm spacers I was adding to my 35mm offset wheels would give me a perfect 45 offset and also make the wheels stick out further to fill up my flared guards, but it took that damned know-it-all Gary ;) to point out my error and I had to admit that if I had acheived a 45mm offset my wheels should be tucked up under the guards like a stock mx5 and not poking out considerably more (as they were).

M@

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:16 pm

I still am lost, there's positive and negative offset, adding positive offset
must make the wheel move outwards.
BTW, my susp guru says it's often better to reduce offset when using wider
wheels to reduce tramlining. he recommended 38 mm.
Lou

Gary Morrison
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Gary Morrison » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:41 pm

BTW, my susp guru says it's often better to reduce offset when using
wider wheels to reduce tramlining. he recommended 38 mm. Which is like
taking the stock wheels and adding a 7mm spacer. (Did I say spacer?)

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:00 am

Got it!
Lou

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:02 am

Yes, but you don't need this with stock wheels. I went from 5.5" to 7" rims at
the time.
Lou

Return to “2002”