re[2]: Dyno result

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Post by Mathew » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:40 pm

I binned the standard Sebring filter assembly soon after I got the car. I then designed an adaptor that holds a small K&N pod filter directly behind the headlight (which has one of the ducted lids from Mx5mart). The adaptor has to go from the large circular filter opening to the small squarish opening of the airflow meter, so airflow through this portion is probably less than ideal. I have made up an aluminium heatshield around the filter pod which seal against the underside of the bonnet to create a bit of an air box, but looking at the dyno graphs it would seem that there is not enough air getting into the airbox at high revs. There is an "L" shaped bit of plastic on the front edge of the bonnet, directly behind the headlight which won't be helping airflow through the vented lid much. I used to have it removed, but then one day I noticed that with the lights up the filter was very open to the elements, and as its been such a rainy winter I put the plastic bit back on so it!
would deflect water away from the filter. Will getting a little bit of rain on the filter cause any problems? I wonder if it will affect the oiling of the fabric.

M@

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:46 pm

I doubt it - I'm sure I get lots of rain in via my JR CAI... + dirt, bugs
etc etc ;)

[...]
(z)

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:27 pm

Try and keep water off it. I adjusted the H/light covers to leave a gap
between them and the bonnet. It all helps!
lou

Return to “2002”