Dyno result

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Dyno result

Post by Mathew » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:14 pm

After resolving my fuel pump problems I thought I'd have another try at running it on a dyno. The first run was with timing set at an ultra safe 5 degrees which produced a peak of 94.4kw at 6330rpm. With the timing reset at 8 degrees it peaked at 102.4kw at the wheels at the same 6330rpm (torque peaked at 4730rpm), which I'm pretty happy with. There is obviously a bit more to be gained by increasing timing (along with an MSD boost control or similar to reduce timing on boost) but that will have to wait until my finances recover. We did two runs at 5 degrees, one with bonnet up, the other with bonnet down, which showed that my modified air intake worked really well up to about 4500rpm and then trailed off to give about 2-3kw less peak power.
The Dyno was a Dynopack (bolts directly to the hubs) which is supposedly more accurate (and reads a bit lower) than the "roller" types, and the car is a 1600 with Mazdaspeed/JR/Sebring type blower making about 7psi.

ps- does anyone know if an oil cooler works any less effieciently when rotated 90 degrees (but still perpendicular to the airflow).

M@

lou Girardin

Dyno result

Post by lou Girardin » Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:39 pm

Interesting figures Matt, thats about 140whp. I wonder why your CAI loses
power up top? Is there a restriction somewhere? Rotating the filter has no
effect, thats what the commercial re-location kits do.
Lou

Return to “2002”