Fire extinguishers

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Fire extinguishers

Post by Gravelben » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:40 pm

What have you folk found is the best place/way to mount a 1kg fire extiguisher in an MX5?

Best place I've found so far looks like in a bracket bolted to the floor in front of passenger seat, any better suggestions?

In the boot would be even easier but I don't know if that counts as 'in the car' for trackdays etc, and would involve taking the keys out and getting out to open the boot before being able to put a fire out if I ever have to.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:57 pm

Under the dash or toward the front of the passenger footwell?
(z)

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:26 pm

The best place is right in front of the passenger seat. That way it is out of the way when people are sitting in the chair yet easily accessible.

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:51 pm

zorruno wrote:Under the dash or toward the front of the passenger footwell?
I wondered about that - there is a metal section running across below the glove box but it doesn't look/feel very strong (just a thin bar), and would obstruct passenger foot room. Just in front of the seat should be under the passenger's legs and not such a problem.

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:58 pm

I agree with Growler. If you have an incident on the track you want to be able to get to the extinguisher easily. On the floor in front of the passenger seat is one of the simplest and most easily accessable places for it.

When mounting it, make sure that you use screws and nuts and large "penny" washers on the underside. Don't use self tappers.

Also be careful when drilling the mounting holes that there are no cables or pipes underneath the carpet or floor. I don't think there will be on that side but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Have fun on the track day.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:59 am

Tried bolting the bracket to the crossbar below the glovebox on the off-chance I could avoid drilling holes in the floor but it definitely isn't strong enough, extinguisher shakes and rattles around pretty badly. Guess I'll be doing it properly then. :lol:

peter
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Fire extinguishers

Post by peter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:29 pm

a good spot is behind the driver's seat, vertical, on the pillar where the seatbelt hides. Depends on how far your seat goes back of course!

Peter
DRGN1

[Posted via external email]

MN

Post by MN » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 pm

In front of the passengers seat is the only place (actually I've got one in front of both seats - with full harness belts I can't reach the one in front of the drivers seat let alone the passenger's). I've had mine mounted there for about 5 years and the car is used around town every day by the chief executive and she's never commented, so it doesn't get in the way.
cheers,

Mark

Return to “MX5 Discussion”