Argh! Soft-top emergency!!!

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

suburban_ennui
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by suburban_ennui » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi there. The zipper in my back window seems to have died, and now I can't get the back window.

Whilst my soft-top is getting to the point of needing replacement, I'm not really in a position to blow a grand or so on a new one right now. Anyone know of somewhere in central/Eastern Auckland who can either replace the zipper head (which I think is the problem) or else the whole zipper? Preferably as quickly as possible, given that I don't have a garage, and given the rain the last day or so.

Cheers

Lawrence

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:14 pm

duct-tape ?

suburban_ennui
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by suburban_ennui » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 pm

ummm ... yeah. Ideally a solution which involves me using the top in both the up and down positions.

simple

Post by simple » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:51 am

Try places that do canvas awnings for boats - I went to one in Archers
Rd (North Shore, Auckland) when the zipper head for my window wore out.
Cost about $3.

Karl.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi L - do you have hard top frankenstein bolts? If so you can borrow my hard top until you get it sorted

Otherwise most upholstery shops should be able to fix the zip unless it is really munted.

My zip hasn't worked worked for 3 years... I just park it in a safe place, or put the car cover over it when on holiday (actually you could borrow my cover if you are really stuck).

Rain doesn't cause too much of a prob as I just raise the window slightly so it sits on my rear cross brace behind the seats. I even wash it like this - the water just slides off into the rain rail. Heavy rain in one direction may be an issue I suppose.

I do have a garage at home for it though....

cheers
(z)

suburban_ennui
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by suburban_ennui » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Cheers ... managed to get an actual MX-5 zipper-head for $11.50 in person from the place who quoted me $500 to fix it over the phone. I wonder if I can justfiy blowing almost $500 on something else now, based on how much I saved?

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:37 pm

suburban_ennui wrote:Cheers ... managed to get an actual MX-5 zipper-head for $11.50 in person from the place who quoted me $500 to fix it over the phone. I wonder if I can justfiy blowing almost $500 on something else now, based on how much I saved?
you know what they say....a bird in the hand is worth some sticky tyres or shiny gear knob!
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

WRW
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by WRW » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:20 pm

SLYDIT wrote:
suburban_ennui wrote:Cheers ... managed to get an actual MX-5 zipper-head for $11.50 in person from the place who quoted me $500 to fix it over the phone. I wonder if I can justfiy blowing almost $500 on something else now, based on how much I saved?
you know what they say....a bird in the hand is worth some sticky tyres or shiny gear knob!
Glenn, you owe me a new keyboard Image
Nina
-------------------
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Return to “MX5 Discussion”