State Insurance - Excess (Excessive!)

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Paul Murray » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Have for many years now had all of our insurance with State. Cars, horse float, house & home contents. Received a letter asking us to please check our details on my MX5 "we've recently upgraded our technology system that manages our insurance information. This has involved transferring data from an old system to a new one".
1990 MX5 NA sum insured $6,264 - despite having a No Claim Discount for life of 65%, a Multi Policy Discount of $77.79 and a Years of Insurance Discount of $77.79 and a Risk Description of being a Roadster 1597cc Injected, vehicle used for private use, vehicle normally parked overnight in the street in Titahi Bay, Porirua and the youngest driver being 54 years of age. With modifications being non standard wheels, sports exhaust, body kit front & rear spoilers & side skirts and securtiy immobiliser - These clowns state "This policy has an imposed excess of $1,000.
GIVE ME THE OLD SYSTEM EXCESS WAS $300. Would very much appreciate some info from others that have recently sought insurance quotes from other companies for a similar aged car. Before I march down the road and have a head to head and perhaps take all of my insurance business elsewhere.

peter
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by peter » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:03 pm

it seems that during the transfer your excess of $300 was "updated" to a default excess of $1000 - I have this default excess on my car, also insured with State, as means to keep the premium low. Perhaps you can advise them they are in error?

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:18 pm

our house and contents insurance (different companies) also got bumped up recently ... phoning up and making the right noises got them down close to where they were last year though.

the helpful callcentre person did mention something about excessive claims due to the weather last year, but you can't help thinking that they're not shy about feathering their nest!

peter

Post by peter » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:50 pm

1/ paint your car and house pink.
2 / Request substantially lower premiums because statistically pink cars have fewer accidents, and hardly any pink houses burn down.
3/ Involve the Insurance Ombudsman and Fair Go!

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

With AMI

Post by Stevo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Around $300 xcess. Car is garaged. Located in Tauranga. Had to have alarm with microwave sensor before they would insure it at all. Cheers Stevo
98 NB Evolution Orange

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Im with AMI and pay just $250 excess..for my Turbo'd 5. i think malicious damage is $750 excess. premiums of around $350 for The Wife and I who are both around 30 years old.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

petercristina
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by petercristina » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:07 am

I believe parking in the street/car port vs a secure garage makes the difference to the excess with some insurance companies. AMI told me so many soft tops get slashed and that's why there is the $1000 excess.
Peter Garrity
Wellington

agent99
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by agent99 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:34 am

HI, Had the same problem a few years ago with state. $5000.00 excess on a 15 year old car cd in Whitby! Removed all vehicles, house and insurances pronto. Now with AA and only required to fit an alarm to get reasonable insurance on our 5. My mate has a 90 5 in the bay I'll ask him what he pays and with whom, if you wish.
good luck.
Would you believe a small Ferrari, then how about a little red Corvette, well what about a classic red mx5.

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Stae Insurance - Excess

Post by Paul Murray » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Thank you all for your comments, it was appreciated.
AA Insurance RoadCover wouldn't insure my car, as others had pointed out, not garaged and didn't have a microwave sensor.
The State insurance underwriter IAG refused to budge (despite my appeal of 6 years outside with no claims) and the excess will remain at $1000. Basically take it or leave it!

Fingaz

Post by Fingaz » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:47 pm

We had the same problem with State they also told us "we've recently upgraded our technology system that manages our insurance information. This has involved transferring data from an old system to a new one". But instead of the excess going up our sons name was removed from the policy without our consent and they refused to insure him as he is under 25. We threatened to remove all of our insurance (house & Bach continence, 2 other cars and boat). They promptly changed their minds .... Wonder why ?
Ryan Orr

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

State Insurance - Excess

Post by Paul Murray » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 am

I am awaiting a proposal from AMI who have offered $750 excess as opposed to State's excess of $1000 with the same conditions and a premium of $288 versus States $364. Once I have this in front of me I will again contact State and if they don't budge will insure with AMI

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

State Insurance - Excess

Post by Paul Murray » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Received AMI's quote, contacted them and the call centre operator I spoke with denied that I had advised her that the car was parked on the road but remembered that I told her about the car mods. So the info she provided was based on being garaged. Back to square one , as they would also charge an excess of $1000 for not being garaged. Also contacted Vero and they use the AA for vehicle insurance, no luck there either. Would appear that because of the higher risk of being parked on the street and not garaged the insurance companies are all humming the same tune.

DBM58

Post by DBM58 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 pm

When I bought my supercharged NA, I found that I had more success when I talked to someone in a more senior position than the person who first answered the call. I found that I was able to have a sensible discussion about the car which lead to the insurance being accepted, at no higher rate than my previous standard model. As I recall, as long as it was not turbocharged, there would be no difficulty.
David

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

State Insurance - Excess

Post by Paul Murray » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi David, you and I have something in common we both purchased our cars from Matt, albeit at different times. Tomorrow I will go and speak to the State people at our local office. I was hoping to have proof of other insurance companies offering a better excess despite the fact that the car isn't garaged and is parked in the street. Being a convertible doesn't help the cause.

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:18 pm

I have everything with AMI and have no issues at all.

Growler.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:32 pm

it always pays to talk to the organ grinder rather than the monkeys for a good deal
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

State Insurance - Excess

Post by Paul Murray » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:24 pm

Thank you to all who have responded - I would ask how many of you who have no issues with your insurer have your vehicle parked out on the street and not garaged and your insurance company is aware of this!
Those that have declared that their car is not garaged and parked in the street would you please advise me of the insurer. That would be of great benefit to my cause.

agent99

Post by agent99 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:10 am

Hi, Fitting an alarm and microwave sensor not only gave AA peace of mind but us as well. The fact that no one bats an eye when an alarm goes off kind of makes it pointless. I guess the cost of the alarm could be concidered our excess. As I said my mate is in the bay area with no problems. He parks away from the house and on the road. From what he has indicated he isn't gouged for his insurance. Regretfully he has not bothered with this forum. But if I can help in connecting you both up let me know.
Would you believe a small Ferrari, then how about a little red Corvette, well what about a classic red mx5.

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

State excess

Post by Paul Murray » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi agent99
I would appreciate some info from your mate in the bay. Perhaps he wouldn't mind calling me on 236 7742. Cheers

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

State Insurance - Excessive

Post by Paul Murray » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:38 pm

After a letter of complaint to my local State Insurance office they have offered a more reasonable excess more fitting to my individual circumstances. As other forum members had suggested a personal approach was certainly more beneficial, in my case the written complaint rather than utilising the call centre option which resulted in total frustration, especially with the underwriter representative not prepared to budge.

scooter

Post by scooter » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:59 pm

I have been given a $1300 theft excess by State, but this can be reduced to $500 if I have 3,4 or 5 star alarm installed. $500 excess for everything else. I am pretty happy with this. Also have to name every driver.

agent99

Post by agent99 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi Paul, Was that you in the yellow stipped silver 5 with small flame flashes on the sides? Cheers

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

State Insurance - Excessive

Post by Paul Murray » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 am

Hi Agent99,
Yes it was. Cheers
Paul

Return to “MX5 Discussion”