Towbar + Bike Rack for ND (2015+)

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

haryadoon
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Towbar + Bike Rack for ND (2015+)

Post by haryadoon » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:02 pm

Has anyone fitted a bike rack on an ND (soft or RF)?

I've read elsewhere that the boot can't handle a boot-mounted rack, so it would need to be mounted on a towbar.

I'm sure you'll all agree that a tow ball protruding from the rear end is not ideal, so it would have to be a removable / retractable / hidden towbar.

Here's a towbar that looks promising and is endorsed by a few American owners.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/11435

I tried to order one, though, and they won't ship overseas. OK, so I can use NZ Post's overseas address, right? Not so fast! The retailers also won't accept a NZ-based credit card. Even if they did, the shipping cost would be over USD $200, making the cost of this towbar more like USD $500 (over NZD $750). Ridiculous!

I'm looking at a custom towbar, but the cost will be quite high.

On top of the towbar, of course, you need a rack that slots into the towbar frame rather that sitting on a towball. Luckily I found a good one on TradeMe, but I'm sure there are lots of alternatives.
1.5l ND 2015 Import - Snowflake White Pearl
What a car!

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Re: Towbar + Bike Rack for ND (2015+)

Post by Keith Jones » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Flyin Miata sell a towbar for the ND rated at around 300kg which would be fine for a bike rack. The tow ball is detachable, so the bar is not obvious when the ball is removed. I'm going to get one for my trailer to take race wheels, tools etc to the track.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/ND/lightweig ... or-nd.html

Return to “MX5 Discussion”