My 99' is having troubles with starting

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

TheStiffler
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by TheStiffler » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:04 pm

So my MX-5 has been having a weird issue recently. If the car has sat for more than an hour or so, and I try to start it, it cranks for 3-5 seconds then sputters into life. However if the car sits for less than that, it starts right up. Weirdly the car drives fine, no problems with power, idle or anything.

A bit of background, the fuel pump died about a week ago. I bought on from Repco, and fitted it on. No problems for about 4 days, but then it started doing this. I tried changing fuel filter and spark plugs, but nothing changed. I'm suspecting either fuel is leaving the rails to quickly due to a leak or the aftermarket pump has lost its power or its return check valve has failed.

Has anyone else had any similar issues or know what could be causing this? It really has me stumped.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:52 pm

Checked for codes?http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=430783

On 20 Nov 2016 18:04, "TheStiffler" <mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz (mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
So my MX-5 has been having a weird issue recently. If the car has sat for more than an hour or so, and I try to start it, it cranks for 3-5 seconds then sputters into life. However if the car sits for less than that, it starts right up. Weirdly the car drives fine, no problems with power, idle or anything.

A bit of background, the fuel pump died about a week ago. I bought on from Repco, and fitted it on. No problems for about 4 days, but then it started doing this. I tried changing fuel filter and spark plugs, but nothing changed. I'm suspecting either fuel is leaving the rails to quickly due to a leak or the aftermarket pump has lost its power or its return check valve has failed.

Has anyone else had any similar issues or know what could be causing this? It really has me stumped.

[Posted via external email]

Return to “MX5 Discussion”