Driving Blind

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

preeetsabbi
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Driving Blind

Post by preeetsabbi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:48 pm

So I have owned my NB 1998 for 5 years now. everything is perfect with that car. The only problem i am having now is the headlights. well they are not a problem as such, but now i travel between Rotorua and Auckland every week and the lights i have on my NB 1998 are like torches out on the state highways. Even if i drive with my high beams on, people driving the other direction cant even tell that i have my high beam ON! I was wondering if it is a good idea to get those projector headlamps like the ones on NB 2000+. (And i have already tried changing the bulbs for my headlamps. now i have got those white LEDs which SUCK as well)

I am just not sure if others have had this problem or not, or if there is another way fix for this problem without having to change the headlamps. I think those projector headlamps will be costly.

broomfish
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by broomfish » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Are the lenses dull on your lights? that will make them not work well. If so get a lens polish kit and clean them up. Will make a huge difference in my experience.
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:39 pm

We have got a 2003 NB but the lights are nowhere near as good as the same design ones on our 2003 Legacy. When you line the cars up next to each other the lens covers on the MX5 are obviously more opaque than the Legacy's. As Peter says, keeping the lens covers as polished as possible is essential.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:14 pm

The NB headlights are crap, but it might be worth wetsanding then clearcoating them to prevent them from quickly hazing up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM demonstrates this technique. I've not tried it myself, but it's going to be a longer term fix than those polishing kits that just rely on a temporary wax/sealant.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”