New MX5 owner here!

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

alexwatson22x
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

New MX5 owner here!

Post by alexwatson22x » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Good evening ladies and gentlemens!

Now I didn't know which topic to post this in, but I do apologise in advance. I am a new owner of an imported Japanese 2.0l MX5 NC, 2006 (softtop) automatic And I had a few questions that I couldn't find the answer to browsing the topics.

I really hope to be an active member of this forum and I'd like to try get into car meets and track days but for now I was wondering if you had any tips for a newbie. for example how do you take care of your softtop? ie, cleaning products or cloths/brushes etc etc It would be my daily driver so keeping it maintained will make me a happy chappy.

Is there any reliability issues I should know about. I see the ND has the transmission issues, and (embarrasingly) I have come from a Holden Viva (god aweful car) which also had transmission failure and power steering leaks (to name a few). Acutally you should google Holden Viva Problems, I think you could fill a novel size book of issues!

I got the car at 93'000 ks, the oil was checked at 90,00ks, regarding fluids, rust etc (rust on drivers side of engine block in some places (is that normal?!!?!?!?!)) how often should I service the car.

I may look into taking the pod filter off my viva (gave it a deep sound i loved hearing) but I see the mx5 has a sort of sensor (plug?) attached to the stock filter on the pipe, i guess ill need to buy a kit for mazda mx5s?

my main reason for joining the forum is to ask this question, does my model come with traction control? I was coming out of a corner and lightly accelerated (to get up hill) and the revs climbed and wheels spun, the manuals are in japanese so im at a loss, apparently (and i should mention mine does not have this) theres a button to enable/disable traction control. If i dont have this button does that mean i dont have traction control? coming from a fwd I spin the rears up regularly, something I will have to get used to.

lastly i noticed in the cold my car has a squeal, may be the accessory belt as it goes away when warm, but reversing up my steep driveway sounds really bad.

AGAIN! Sorry if this stuff has been covered, Im really excited because the MX5 is my dream car and I hope to see you all on the forums! Also my friend has a Audi A3 with a turbo charger, he says it has 160hp (mine has 160hp) but has 250nm of torque vs my miata 190nm, who would win?

GOODNIGHT GUYS! :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:49 am

Also my friend has a Audi A3 with a turbo charger, he says it has 160hp (mine has 160hp) but has 250nm of torque vs my miata 190nm, who would win?
It would be close. The MX5 is probably slightly lighter, but the extra torque of the turbo A3 will give it a strong advantage in acceleration. Only one way to know for sure :P

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Stevo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:37 pm

The A3 would probably win in a straight line but the MX5 would catch it in the twisties and be a LOT more FUN. :D
98 NB Evolution Orange

Return to “MX5 Discussion”