How to hunt for good NB MX6 in trademe

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Nikka Yoichi
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Nikka Yoichi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:29 pm

well , this might be a real boring frequently asked topic question...
but..please bear with me ... oh im sorry for barging in, as im not a MX5 owner yet...but very keen on acquiring one....

It has been like 5 months that i decided to find an MX5, im not even sure which models, but i know i seem to prefer the swwopy looks and slightly less techy feel of the NBs (earlier or later ones i dont think it seem to matter), 1999, 2002, 2004, havent seen much NB's younger than 2000s ....anyway what i want to ask is, since it so damn hard to browse thru trademe on nearly daily basis,
few dumbeish questions but i dont know where /who to ask this so here it is...

A)id liken to know if bilsteins are really worth ensuring to have, are they quite harsh? there is one in Papakura, but im in Palmerston North, a long way just to go try it out...so id rather ask if anyone can describe differences of that and stock...or is it just a " big have"? meaning most folks might not benefit from it...right?

B)are the later NBs are more desirable to eariler NBs? more curves? less chiselled look is this true?, i read somewhere that a 1999 have the best head-flow....but not really noticable is it?

C) why are 1999s sought after, (while their gearbox or driveshaft/diff is weaker?) im not sure of the whole story , anyone explain?

D) i like British racing green colour , and only seen ONE with black interioir, why so damn hard to find it, as all seem to be tan colour? was it modified, or was there a such BRG colour with black insides? hope thats not stupid make asking...

thanks

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:05 pm

A) I've only rode in an NB with the standard suspension. It's good. Much better ride than any NA. I'd call Bilsteins a 'nice to have' but not worth chasing.

B) Later NBs were more powerful. The revised model had increased compression and variable valve timing. They also had better seats (and perhaps other interior features). The early NB seats are terrible for taller people. They had better headlights and slightly more aggressive styling. All-round improvement on the earlier NB years in my opinion.

C) I didn't know they were.

D) The various V-spec models ("british racing green", there were a few different greens) all had tan leather interiors. If you saw one with a black interior it was almost certainly retrofitted. In my opinion the cloth interior is superior to the leather; the leather seats don't hold you in place and are unpleasant in hot weather.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:36 pm

A) We've got a 2003 and find the standard suspension good for road use. It's not too harsh but gives a reasonably firm ride.

B)As you have probably found, there were four NB models:
1998-2000 - 1st NB body shape, more powerful 1800 engine than the NA 1800.
2001- 2002 - facelift body with different front bumper, better seats, same engine as 99/01
late 2002-2004 - same body as 01/02, more powerful VVT engine.
2004 - turbo engine.

The manual transmission/driveline are the same on all 1800 NBs.

Nikka Yoichi

Post by Nikka Yoichi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

good replies, i couldn't find a photos showing comparisons of how front bumpers differ between NB1/NB2, it must be subtle.

Using google is rather messy, could someone kindly upload pictures of these, or links showing how these?
thanks!

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:57 pm

google 2004 Mazda mx5 and you should find a site that shows pictures...then do the same for 1998 and compare!

e.g. images for 2004 mazda mx5
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Nikka Yoichi

Post by Nikka Yoichi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:48 pm

i had a look, i must be blind. i can't see much difference? where is it , along where the bonnets lines to the nose? on the inner 'cuts' to the headlight? fog lights looks the same? , please i need to train my eye to see the differences, oh, do the bonnet on NB2s have a bigger middle lumps along the middle? is the NMB1 steeper in the curve slopping more sharply to the ground (from the horizontal lines of bonnet) ?

also, are the physical shapes exactly the same as for 1.6 and 1.8?
when i browse thru trademe, sometimes i see 1.6's looking better, as closer to the ground and 'more supplement in poise' is this my imagination or am i seeing the less stiff spring due to its entirely lighter 1600cc MX5's?

Nikka Yoichi

Post by Nikka Yoichi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:02 pm

im starting to see difference, later NBs had narrower squinting 'eyes' and a more upturned 'mouth' and fog lights holes are somewhat varied...

Dez
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Dez » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Don't go beating yourself up about missing a few of the subtlties
between the respective models, there's a ton of them even to the
'trained' eye. You keep mentioning the difference between the 1.6 and
the 1.8 but not specifically to the NA or the NB (just to add to the
confusion, the NB has been imported with the 1.6 motor). A quick guide
to spot a NB from the NA is the doors. The NB has a curved corner on the
opening side whereas the NA is square.
Have a look in Miata.net, there is a wealth of comparisons there. Good
luck with your research

[Posted via external email]

Nikka Yoichi

Post by Nikka Yoichi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:02 pm

hmmm, ok, id just pick on whether i like the color and general condition...
one more question at what sort of mileage with an NB1 NB2 be considered old,, at 145,000 ??

Nikka Yoichi

Post by Nikka Yoichi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:58 pm

marcellarius wrote:A) I've only rode in an NB with the standard suspension. It's good. Much better ride than any NA. I'd call Bilsteins a 'nice to have' but not worth chasing.

B) Later NBs were more powerful. The revised model had increased compression and variable valve timing. They also had better seats (and perhaps other interior features). The early NB seats are terrible for taller people. They had better headlights and slightly more aggressive styling. All-round improvement on the earlier NB years in my opinion.

C) I didn't know they were.

D) The various V-spec models ("british racing green", there were a few different greens) all had tan leather interiors. If you saw one with a black interior it was almost certainly retrofitted. In my opinion the cloth interior is superior to the leather; the leather seats don't hold you in place and are unpleasant in hot weather.
I like your advice about the seats. thanks

Nikka Yoichi

Post by Nikka Yoichi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Keith Jones wrote:A) We've got a 2003 and find the standard suspension good for road use. It's not too harsh but gives a reasonably firm ride.

B)As you have probably found, there were four NB models:
1998-2000 - 1st NB body shape, more powerful 1800 engine than the NA 1800.
2001- 2002 - facelift body with different front bumper, better seats, same engine as 99/01
late 2002-2004 - same body as 01/02, more powerful VVT engine.
2004 - turbo engine.

The manual transmission/driveline are the same on all 1800 NBs.
thanks for an excellent summary on a glance, I think i'd try to narrow my search to a 2001-2002..not really that fussed, but thanks

2low2c

Post by 2low2c » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:42 am

just a slight correction the 1800 vvt was released very end of 2000 ,2001 to 2004 are the same 1800 engine.easiest way to tell the difference from the outside between 98 to2000 and the later ones is the earlier ones have a orange rear indicator and the later ones have a clear indicator.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:29 pm

I knew you'd correct me if I was wrong Paul. Cheers.

Jesse Pinkman
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Jesse Pinkman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Hey mate! I have a NB for sale soon, its a 1998 RS 1.8 turbo with 270hp atw! Message me if you want more info :)
Don’t confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller is the other.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”