Re-fitting a Mudflap / Splashguard for NB

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

alisam
Tentative sideways sliding....

Re-fitting a Mudflap / Splashguard for NB

Post by alisam » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:29 pm

I duct taped some cardboard to the garage concrete floor to see if I had an oil leek. After a couple of weeks the duct tape came loose, stuck to the front tyres and then wrapped the cardboard around the left front wheel as the car was driven out of the garage.

It dislodged the mudflap and made quite a bit of noise when the car was being driven.

I have removed the left front mudflap (splashguard as our American cousins sometimes refer to it) [when standing behind the car]. It took ages to get the little plug out and finally had success using a tool for removing weeds.

Now that it is off the car, I cannot get the mudflap back.

I have searched (a lot) for some instructions to fit a mudflap to an NB but have not seen anything that shows pictures.

I tried last weekend to re-fix it and will try again this weekend.

Has anyone fitted a front mudflap on an NB recently?

fiveisalive

Post by fiveisalive » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Those wheel arch liner plugs holding the mudflaps should just pop out after you unscrew it a little.

AND in theory, they should just pop back in just as easily... if they're not cracked from wear/tear or damaged from being forcibly removed.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:23 pm

If its the type I'm thinking of with the plastic 'screw' in the middle of the plug, then that screw just pushes out tabs which lock the plug in place- You don't need to unscrew it right out (i.e. it will unscrew a bit but then won't come any more). When the plastic screw is out, the plug should be able to be wiggled out of the hole.

To put it back in, align the holes of the splash guard and body, push the 'screw' back out, pinch the tabs to make them thinner, then insert the plug into the hole. Then finally, screw the the plastic screw in. The main thing to realise is that the 'screw' doesn't hold the plug on, it just spreads the tabs.

Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

alisam

Post by alisam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Could not re-fix the mudflap on the weekend. I think I may have lost a part whilst driving.
I could not find any instructions on the net for fitting an NB mudflap, but I did find a picture of the bracket which has to be attached to the car body (which I have).

It's the other end of the bracket that has to be attached to something and I couldn't see where that could be.

So it going to be a trip to the Mazda garage to get it fixed.

I noted the posts on the plastic plugs. I really wanted to see how the other front mudflap was attached but I couldn't get the plugs out and didn't want to force them out.

fiveisalive

Post by fiveisalive » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Alisam,

There's only 1 screw(in red) and 1 plastic clip(in yellow) and 3M sticky tape holding it in place.

I believe the part you're talking about with the bracket is the screw.
Attachments
nb mudflap.jpg
nb mudflap left front

alisam

Post by alisam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:09 am

The bracket can be seen here: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51665
The bracket has two screws. One naturally to fit to the underside of the car.
In the picture can be seen a 'channel'. The second screw attaches to a piece of plastic which is slightly angular to fit the channel. It's this bit I don't know how it fits to the car.

fiveisalive

Post by fiveisalive » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:57 pm

alisam wrote:The bracket can be seen here: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51665
The bracket has two screws. One naturally to fit to the underside of the car.
In the picture can be seen a 'channel'. The second screw attaches to a piece of plastic which is slightly angular to fit the channel. It's this bit I don't know how it fits to the car.
Ah gotcha...

Here's a pic of the bracket on mine. Excuse the filth... she hasn't been cleaned in awhile :)
Attachments
nb mudflap 2.jpg

Return to “MX5 Discussion”