V8 conversion

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Sigh, looks like I have opened a can of worms here.

Not saying Turbo cars are crap, or trying to do the old boy saying of cubic inches rules, and yes power is the end ingredient (and less weight), but we all have reason's for the power, and that sometimes influences the path we go down to get that power.

REDBEN want's all the power he can squeeze out of his to do a 10sec 1/4 mile.

MAD KIWI wants all the power he can reliably squeeze out of his car to lap a circuit as fast as possible.

FURAI wants power/torque so he can graze his cars arse along a barrier sideways.

Mine at the moment is a toy (yes a rather expensive one) that I can do a variety of things, just jump in it to go to the shops to get a pint of milk (and does it matter if that trip ends up a 100k jaunt, cruises at 100kph in 6th at 1900rpm and will still out get up and go without having to change down if feeling lazy), go to work in it if I feel like it and not worry about crawling in rush hour traffic (can go from a standing start in 3rd without issues, idles in 3rd gear along the motorway at 35kph and don't need to change gear till 150kph), and stick it on the track for a few blast around on a track day, hill climb or gymkhana or drag strip. So a jack of all trades and master of none, and for that cubic inches gave the answer to pretty much everything.

We all put our on style on our cars and for various reason's, and it's that individuality that makes them put a smile on our dial. We build these cars for ourselves and not to satisfy someone else. MAD KIWI cannot for the life of him understand why I have a car like mine with clear coat flaking off on it, and primer showing etc, but that just doesn't float my boat at the moment, but that's not to say that I don't appreciate the hard work and effort someone puts in making their car's mint.

I've had hipo turbo car's and rotary's and the MX5 is the easiest all rounder I have had, but that's not to say that I didn't have a hell of a lot of fun in the others, and never going to put together another one of those again (rotary KP62 starlet in the pipelines, or might have been swayed to use a Hayabusa Turbo in it instead).

Yes, the v8 will kill you just as quick as the others if you are being stupid with it, but at the same time, any idiot can jump into mine and go for a cruise without stalling, bunny hopping or having the turbo come on song halfway around a corner.

As for the challenge of the times around Hampton's, well I guess it's about time I got off my arse and sorted a few things out on my car that I have been putting off for the past year, and take back the crown.

So hopefully that clears up anything taken the wrong way about my original statement and we can leave Adrian to give us updates on his build, and hopefully will see it running around at some stage.

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Very well said Donovan, I tip my hat to you good sir and your succinct way of summing things up.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Your welcome, and happy to take you for another "sedate" drive in the red terror the next time your down this way.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm

I would have to make a booking at the hospital first, so that I could get the massive grin surgically removed from my face afterwards :wink:

chris

Post by chris » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:40 pm

I saw you on Saturday at Puke, was meant to try steal a lap! Fully forgot -_-
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:49 pm

What a really great post Donovan!!

You can be so eloquent when you choose to be.... :D

Hugs and Kisses :wink:

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Haha Just read all of this! You fella's are a laugh!
1991 NA6 Mariner Blue with a twist of BP

Return to “MX5 Discussion”