NB inconsistent VIN details

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Dnz
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

NB inconsistent VIN details

Post by Dnz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:16 am

Hi All

I'm new to mx5's, but having taken a couple for a test drive I think I may be hooked.

I'm looking at buying this NB, ticks all the boxes I want at this point, drives well and seems to be in pretty good order from what I could see: [edit - seems I can't post links as a first time poster, trademe auction id: 669986109]

However, carjam lists it as a) an auto, b) an NB8C-101088 - both of which appear to be wrong. It's clearly an NB8A and has a 6 spd manual, 6 speed guages etc.

Are these likely to be errors on the report or is it likely to be an auto-conversion or something fishier? What's the usual way forward?

Thanks!

Dnz

Post by Dnz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:30 am

Hmm actually looks like the NB8C thing might just be terminological differences from different markets or me being confused, as google has plenty of JDM 1998 NBs called NB8C-1xxxxx.

Do auto-converted cars present any kind of problems with mx5's? I know it varies quite a lot between different manufacturers/models when it comes to conversions so any insight re: mx5's would be helpful.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:15 pm

I don't think NB8A and NB8B are official Mazda codes, but terms the MX5/miata community use for the three revisions of the NB8 that were sold over the years. I'm not sure what the C means in the chassis code.

An auto conversion may an issue. It could be incorrectly registered, or someone could have converted it to manual. This probably isn't a hugely difficult job in the MX5, but as the pedal assembly may have been swapped, which constitutes a brake system modification an LVV cert is necessary. bloody ridiculous

Ask the owner? A helpful Mazda parts desk person might be able to look up the factory specifications of the car based on the VIN; my Japanese NA8 has a vehicle identification sticker inside the drivers door jamb that lists that it came with a 5 speed manual and a bunch of other details.

Dnz

Post by Dnz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 pm

marcellarius wrote:I don't think NB8A and NB8B are official Mazda codes, but terms the MX5/miata community use for the three revisions of the NB8 that were sold over the years. I'm not sure what the C means in the chassis code.
Thanks, that looks to be correct re: it just being the community's usage, kinda unfortunate it was also a valid chassis code!
An auto conversion may an issue. It could be incorrectly registered, or someone could have converted it to manual. This probably isn't a hugely difficult job in the MX5, but as the pedal assembly may have been swapped, which constitutes a brake system modification an LVV cert is necessary. bloody ridiculous
Good to know about the LVV cert/pedal assembly issue - I suspected something like that might be the case.
Ask the owner? A helpful Mazda parts desk person might be able to look up the factory specifications of the car based on the VIN; my Japanese NA8 has a vehicle identification sticker inside the drivers door jamb that lists that it came with a 5 speed manual and a bunch of other details.
Will ring the owner and find out what he knows.

Very helpful, thanks!

2low2c
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by 2low2c » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:12 pm

you do not need a lvv cert, because the pedals bolt staight in and are not modified . i have done heaps of auto manual coversions.
if you get the owner to look on the sticker inside the drivers door it will have a gearbox code if it is 6mt then it is a factory 6 speed.
the car looks factory to me i thinck some car dealer who first reg it just put auto by mitake

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:17 pm

The LVVTA people seem to think otherwise.

http://lvvta.proboards.com/thread/309/m ... arbox-cert

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:41 pm

The clutch is a separate pedal to the brake and accelerator. you dont need to remove anything thats on the car other than the auto stuff. The hole is even through the firewall for the clutch master. A nissan probably has all 3 pedals on a single unit or has a single reservoir for both brake and clutch.

I wouldn't think that it has been converted.
It has a nardi wheel and a 6 speed cluster

Dnz

Post by Dnz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks for the input guys.

Talked to the owner and he had no idea it was registered as an auto. He didn't seem too concerned but I think if I end up buying it i'd have to get the reg details corrected as it would annoy me.

Going to have a look today so will see if I can find the vehicle id sticker inside the drivers door jamb or any other hints as to it's original trans.

Dnz

Post by Dnz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:18 pm

The vehicle id sticker/plate thing inside the door jamb was faded to the point of being pretty hard to see. I couldn't read the transmission part, but the grade/model was visible as an RS.

It has the yellow bilstein shocks, strut bracing, nardi wheel/gear knob, and torsen diff, 6 spd cluster etc - so it looks like it's just a mistake in the registration or something.

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:51 pm

personally I wouldn't let it bother you as long as the vehicle is sound and in good working order.

MX5's are damn near bulletproof :)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”