NA6C Japanese/UK Import

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

fastrax
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

NA6C Japanese/UK Import

Post by fastrax » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Good Afternoon All,

I was wondering is anyone could help shed some light a my situation!

I have owned a NA6C for the past 8 years. It is currently wasting away in a garage in the UK and I am very keen to have it brought over to NZ.

The car is a 1990 Marina Blue Eunos Roadster. It was imported into the UK from Japan. It has a lot of the options and has done a 90k kms and is in very tidy condition all round.

My understanding reading all of the rules on NZTA would be that a 1990 NA6C does not meet the frontal impact regulations in New Zealand, Hence cannot be imported.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this wonderful topic!?

Thanks Fastrax

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Re: NA6C Japanese/UK Import

Post by Angreal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm

I think because it's older than 20 years you can bring it in under the old car rule. Might want to look that one up

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:05 pm

pretty sure if its over 20 years old and a personal import then its will be ok although after 8 years in the UK i would be VERY weary of rust. ANY rust at all will fail its compliance and mean you have to get it fixed by a panelbeater back to factory spec.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Rust will kill it as to being worth importing,We just bought at work a immigrants from the UK's 03 Mazda Premacy,2000cc and 5 speed Manuel and full body kit,Really nice car,Rare as rocking horse shit here,Japan just did not have them.
RUSTY,Not worth anything now,half the parts are European specific and no good here,We have also seen a few NB UK imports as well,Private imports,RUSTY.
The rust gets picked at the boarder on boarder check,get flagged as structural damage and then you are up for repair cert before compliance.

By all means bring it in,But do make sure it's a good one and worth your while.
I guess if where the car is,hasn't seen too many salty roads it could be still OK
As usual check with local NZTA agents and compliance shops on costs and what paper work you need to do it.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:28 pm

...even if it was immaculate, it's not as if they are a rarity here. Shipping will be pretty close to the value of the car.
Just wait and find a tidy one that is already in NZ.
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Timmo has hit the nailo the head. Watch the prices of the cars here before you commit to importing..... Ill be selling a blue 1990 in a couple of weeks. There are plenty of good cars and parts here already.

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:01 pm

I have seen the blue '5 GRUVBB is talking about and its a little beauty.
considering how much rust issues UK owners have because of their roads, unless your UK based '5 is a one-of-a-kind (eg the washer bottle is full of unicorn tears) then I would look at purchasing something local. It really would be less hassle in the long run.

If it has any rare mods then consider shipping them over, but bear in mind mx5 stuff is easy to get here and there are many of them around. Myself personally, I have seen too many photo's and read too many threads about the 'rusting from the inside out' problems UK mx5's have to even consider touching a UK one..... ever

Basically, for the same sort of money that you would spend shipping your car over, you could buy one here and you would have no hassles with shipping and all the hoops you have to jump through paperwork wise getting it past customs and road legal over here. (not to mention the potential repairs/servicing if the car has been sitting around for an extended period of time.

As mentioned, GRUVBB has a sweet little one that you could consider looking at.

just my 2c

Return to “MX5 Discussion”