insurance again

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

TheKiddies
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

insurance again

Post by TheKiddies » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Sorry have seen a few posts regarding insurance but so much info. We just got a stock standard 1996 1800cc. Rang up today to get third party only and they are refusing to insure it for the kids. Ok we can understand the $1000 excess but to completly refuse third party insurance because the kids will be driving it has shocked us. We have 3 other vehicles insured with them fully, and never made a claim. Can someone please recommend somewhere in Auckland that we can go through?
This car will not be getting modified at all, we will only be taking it back to as original as we can.
many thanks

chloeinalbany
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by chloeinalbany » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Try AA - they have been very good to me over the years and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't insure.
1990 Red Eunos Roadster

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Re: insurance again

Post by Snapfrozen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 pm

TheKiddies wrote:Sorry have seen a few posts regarding insurance but so much info. We just got a stock standard 1996 1800cc. Rang up today to get third party only and they are refusing to insure it for the kids. Ok we can understand the $1000 excess but to completly refuse third party insurance because the kids will be driving it has shocked us. We have 3 other vehicles insured with them fully, and never made a claim. Can someone please recommend somewhere in Auckland that we can go through?
This car will not be getting modified at all, we will only be taking it back to as original as we can.
many thanks
Who did you ring for cover?

MX5's fall into a high performance category for vehicles (Rediculous I know). Theyre a soft top, rear wheel drive, light weight, and becoming more popular thanks to the US miata scene.

This means for us (Kiwi's in MX'5s) that insurers are worried more about theft (Due to the top), malicious damage (see previous), and boyracing due to the platform.

Try ring again and escalate the call, point out that your kids have good driving history (If not, it might be why), that you have been a GREAT client (Paying premiums, not claiming) and ask WHY you were declined cover for your kids.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:29 pm

RULE #1 IN GETTING INSURANCE...

NEVER
NEVER
NEVER
EVER
EVER
EVER
EVER
EVER
GET INSURANCE OVER THE PHONE!

Go in to your local office and speak to THE MANAGER about what you want and remind them the the MX5 is not a skyline and that you are happy to take all your insurance elsewhere if they dont play ball.
The plebs on the phone only have strict guidlines to adhere to based on a "computor says no" formula....
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

SLYDIT

Re: insurance again

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:
This means for us (Kiwi's in MX'5s) that insurers are worried more about theft (Due to the top), malicious damage (see previous), and boyracing due to the platform.
i dont know of any insurance company that covers malicious damage. just about every mx out there has NO cover for the soft top anyway. (read your fine print)
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Try Swann. I've got full cover on my NA, $260.
The soft top is covered aswell. They were the only company that didn't have a problem with it.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:52 pm

SLYDIT wrote: NEVER
EVER

Go in to your local office and speak to THE MANAGER
The main thing to bare in mind with this comment, is that the manager of a branch usually deals with the staff/problems, not underwriting (Which is where the problem is here, I'd know, I'm an underwriter :P). My recommendation is to escalate the problem with whoever you spoke to's manager, so that they can look into it and see if a poor underwriting decision was made, or if they were following their guidelines, and if they are, WHY it was declined.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 pm

We have had a few tops either repaired or replaced through different insurance companies at work
depending on the original condition of the top they may ask for an owner contribution

im not going to bag any company in particular but there are good ones and not so good ones to work for

Here is the collision repair association survey of insurance companies
this is how the panel shops across the country rate them

http://www.mta.org.nz/f2596,82070/Colli ... urvey2.pdf

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:03 am

I honestly don't get the 'its got a soft top so its easier to break in' thing....the easiest way into 'break into' any car is to smash a window....and all cars have those.

Imagine actually trying to hack your way into a soft top.... :shock:
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 am

Timmo wrote:I honestly don't get the 'its got a soft top so its easier to break in' thing....the easiest way into 'break into' any car is to smash a window....and all cars have those.

Imagine actually trying to hack your way into a soft top.... :shock:
It's easier to damage a soft top in seconds without attracting attention, it is definately a factor, though may not be the only one

Born_disturbed
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Born_disturbed » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Hell if you are smart enough you can just unzip the rear window and slide in that way... its possible :/

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:17 pm

I assume it's quieter than smashing a window... Just chop the roof up, reach in, unlock door and voila, more damage than the item you just stolen

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Angreal wrote:I assume it's quieter than smashing a window... Just chop the roof up, reach in, unlock door and voila, more damage than the item you just stolen
how long are your hands?!
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Timmo wrote:
Angreal wrote:I assume it's quieter than smashing a window... Just chop the roof up, reach in, unlock door and voila, more damage than the item you just stolen
how long are your hands?!
It's the arms that are long :roll: But they should be long enough? Can't say I've tried, cant say I'll ever try either :p It's a lot easier than attempting to go through the rear window in any event

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

insurance again

Post by jif » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:38 pm

It happens. 

Someone sliced open the rear window, crawled inside and nicked the ashtray+coins ... and a jumper :-\   The alarm (4 star dynatron, no microwave sensor at that point) was not triggered.

[Posted via external email]

halberd
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by halberd » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 pm

When I lock my keys in mine it takes me the best part of 30 seconds to break in with a long stick. Just pull the window out and push the lock forward.

Once I even bent a coathanger, put it between the window and the roof, hooked it around the keys, pulled them out of the ignition and out the gap between the roof and the window.
'91 Eunos Roadster

Zadkiel
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Zadkiel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:
SLYDIT wrote: NEVER
EVER

Go in to your local office and speak to THE MANAGER
The main thing to bare in mind with this comment, is that the manager of a branch usually deals with the staff/problems, not underwriting (Which is where the problem is here, I'd know, I'm an underwriter :P). My recommendation is to escalate the problem with whoever you spoke to's manager, so that they can look into it and see if a poor underwriting decision was made, or if they were following their guidelines, and if they are, WHY it was declined.
Yeah this is very accurate, the rules are set out for the whole company, so phone or branch doesn't matter. As long as they are doing their job right you will get a consistant answer.

However you should be able to get cover from most reasonable companies in that scenario, shop around. Most companies do cover vandalism, only you will have to pay your excess if you don't catch who did it.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”