Window tints...

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Window tints...

Post by Shermio » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Where's the best and cheapest?? There's a guy on trademe that's selling pre cut kits for about $50... but I don't know how hard it would be to put on... Hmmm ideas?
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Window tints...

Post by poison » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:15 am

I was looking at those too, although not sure why. I did a couple of cars and it's not hard if the tint film is good quality. You just have to take off the inside door panel first and then scrape the glass clean with a razor blade. Any mistakes or imperfections do suck though as they really show up. Probably not a lot more to get it done professionally.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Psycho_Dad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Psycho_Dad » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:11 am

i wouldnt buy precut stuff, id imagine it would be hard to line up perfectly

id buy a few sheets, spray soap suds on the window, put the tint on, then squeegee out the airbubbles, and then run a craft knife along the window to remove the excess tint

ive done it a few times, it not hard to get a pro looking job, just a bit of patience

PEace
Psycho_Dad
Last edited by Psycho_Dad on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:15 am

Yeah I thought about it... but the guy lives like down the road from me so I was thinking he might show some of his neighbourly love and help me install it :P

agent99
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by agent99 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:06 am

Hi, I have just had it done on both hard and soft tops proffesionally. After the 2nd go it is still not perfect, the heated lines are quite heavy on our mx5 so you get fine line of air pockets along each one. Obviously not a problem with non-heated glass. From the drivers seat not a problem. From outside it can be seen. I ended up helping the installer and would not recomend doing it yourself unless you do it for a living, on this car. Cheers
Would you believe a small Ferrari, then how about a little red Corvette, well what about a classic red mx5.

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Hmmm decisions... Molly just ticked over 50K and she's still showroom condish :D just want to keep the interior that way as well... I have had quotes of around the $150 mark so not quite sure...

The only experience I have with putting sticky stuff on cars is putting racing stripes on my friend's Silvia S14 (I did a pretty awesome job though!) But glass is another thing... I'll see :D

Return to “MX5 Discussion”