Noisy Engine

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2004
krice

Noisy Engine

Post by krice » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:01 pm

Happy New year everyone!
I posted a couple of months ago here about my noisy engine when it gets very hot (sounds like VERY noisy tappets?). Glenn at Rotary Power put a new genuine oil filter and new oil in the car for me and no noise since then...until today. Drove Akl to hamilton with no noise but on the return (through Hamilton backroads), I wound the car out a few times (well within the redline though)and the noise was back as load as ever. Feels like a small loss of power also but not sure as drove very sedately all the way home. Noise persisted all the way back to Akl. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Was an incredibly hot day.

Thanks for all comments.

Keith Cook

Noisy Engine

Post by Keith Cook » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:35 pm

I had a third party oil filter installed in my 1990 Mazda GT some years ago by a country garage. When I returned home the car sat for about 3 weeks before being used again. The racket was frightening!! The local franchise replaced the filter and ran the motor until the tappets were working again but even now, some 7 years later, there is still some noise at times. IMO to use 3rd party filters in a Mazda is a no no. I assume the car has not lost oil. I have found that noisy tappets are a sure sign that a top-up or oil change is in order. I use Shell Helix as being the closest to the french stuff that was in it when it came down from AKL.

Return to “2004”