iPod integration

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

mazdad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

iPod integration

Post by mazdad » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:17 pm

After scratching my head and trying to figure a simple but tidy and effective way of getting my MP3 collection into my 2002 Facelift NB I eventually settled for a FM transmitter that had a SD/USB slot as well as a 3.5mm jack. Worked quite OK'ish, but it certainly wasn't 'CD quality' and plugged into the cigarette lighter it tended to get in the way and was hard to operate - even though it came with a remote control.

Spotted the GROM iPod Interface Adaptor (www.gromaudio.com) from Indash.org and after reading a few reviews decided to order one.

The following is a e-mail I sent to them earlier today......

What can I say?

Ordered my Grom iPod interface adaptor for my 2002 Mazda MX5 last weekend, it arrived today (the following Saturday). OK, so a lot of folk would say 'so what, five working days delivery is not so hot', well it is when you consider I'm in New Zealand! Not only that, but I'm at a rural address that ALWAYS adds a day to any delivery.

On top of that, the Grom iPod Interface Adaptor performs EXACTLY as described. Out of the box and up and running (beautifully I might add) in under 30 minutes!

Thank you Grom for making such a genuinely useful device, thank you Indash for such outstanding service.

All the very best,

Figured others on this forum might be interested :D
"The best British sports car ever" - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:13 pm

depends what you term 'integration' really.

A simple jack to jack loses no quality through to the head unit but can only be used on stereos with an auxiliary input jack (and you have to use the controls on the Mp3 player).

A device such as the one you bought doesn't improve the sound over a simple jack to jack interface but does add things like the ability to control some of the iPods functions through the stereo controls.

I'm happy with a simple jack to tape reader in my car- I loose a bit of quality through the tape heads but didn't think it was worth replacing an otherwise good headdeck to gain a few more Khz of quality which would then be lost due to road and windnoise anyway....

mazdad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by mazdad » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:09 pm

Timmo wrote: I'm happy with a simple jack to tape reader in my car- I loose a bit of quality through the tape heads but didn't think it was worth replacing an otherwise good headdeck to gain a few more Khz of quality which would then be lost due to road and windnoise anyway....
Timmo,

Got to disagree with you here.

The FM transmitter I replaced delivered audio quality that was another step up from a cassette adaptor, the Grom iPod interface - whilst meaning I can operate the iPod (tucked away in the glove box) remotely from the radio controls - delivers a completely different level of performance. And note, this is coming from a person with a collection of over 1,000 perfectly preserved vinyl albums that are regularly played on a Garrard 401 transcription unit, SME 3009 arm and Shure V15 III cartridge through a class A amp into B&W speakers, so believe me when I say I appreciate quality audio.

I read all of the posts lambasting the Bose audio factory fitted in some MX5's (mine included) and really wonder if most of these writers have the same kit as me in their cars. Roof up or down, the quality I'm getting from (admittedly compressed MP3 files) via this unit is excellent.

I'm in Rangiora, if you're ever around this neck of the woods let me know and you can come compare your cassette adaptor to the Grom.

Eric

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:19 am

But where can you hear that improved quality? When the car is stationary I would guess? What about when driving?

An open top car (with larger diameter headers and exhaust in my case), will never create the type of sound stage when moving that will allow really good definition.

Im not saying a nicer headunit/amp, speakers and connection won't help, just that you'll never get a decent sound at your ear because it is being messed up with road, transmission, engine, tyre and wind noise (of which my car, at least, has plenty of)

A Lexus LS430....different story. Those things are whisper quiet so you would really notice better sound.

But different strokes I guess: I don't know your car, you don't know mine :)

mazdad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by mazdad » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Timmo,

Too true.

I often used to offer precisely the same argument when 'exotic' sound systems (read Bose) were first trotted out for use in cars. However, when you buy a car that's already equipped with one of these self-same systems, and want to take your collection of iPod-based music (and Podcasts of course) along with you then I reckon the Grom offers great (without saying it's 'Hi-Fi') sound with the added convenience of putting the control of the iPod onto the car audio controls, volume, track, skip, ffwd/frev, random play, disk (playlist) select etc....
As you say, horses for courses, but I find I'm enjoying listening to stuff I'd forgotten I'd got :D

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”