Battery dies on turn off

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Hojo
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Battery dies on turn off

Post by Hojo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:05 pm

I seem to be having a bit of an odd problem...

Every now and then, ususally after heavy usage, the battery in my '89 NA dies when i turn the car off... but only for a few minutes...

I will turn the car off and everything will go dead... head unit, ignition, lights, alarm... everything.

after about 3-4 minutes it all just starts up again. It wouldn't be so concerning as it is intermittent but it means that I have to set up the head unit every time it starts up again.

Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone know what it could be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Stevo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:55 pm

:roll: That is the most bizzare thing I have heard of. Sorry I cant help but when you do find thecause of your problem, could you please post it on here. Cheers Stevo
98 NB Evolution Orange

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Battery dies on turn off

Post by zorruno » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:29 pm

on 6/11/2009 3:05 p.m. Hojo wrote:
I seem to be having a bit of an odd problem...

Every now and then, ususally after heavy usage, the battery in my '89 NA dies when i turn the car off... but only for a few minutes...

I will turn the car off and everything will go dead... head unit, ignition, lights, alarm... everything.
place your bets...

I'll put $10 on "dirty or worn connections in the ignition switch" :)

Spray a bunch of contact cleaner in there or something.

cheers

[Posted via external email]
(z)

dynofiend
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dynofiend » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:35 pm

How is the battery itself? Many odd electrical problems can be attributed to a weak battery or its connections.

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:43 pm

I had an mx that did something like that and it turned out to be both battery & conections to the terminals-one was actually broken.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:57 pm

If the radio is losing its settings then, providing it has been installed properly it points to the direct feed from the battery as others have suggested. The head unit should have 2 power feeds, one from ignition/accessory positon and the other direct from the battery. It will only lose its settings if the direct feed from the battery is lost.

It is a little strange that power returns a few minutes later. Indicates that it may be heat related. Sometimes if a terminal is not tight enough it will heat up. As it gets hot it expands and may lose contact. Once it cools it it contracts and tightens on the contact again giving you power again.

Check the battery terminals are tight. Also check the earth terminals are all tight.

Hope that helps.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

KSCRIM

Post by KSCRIM » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:19 am

It will be the battery, a cell joiner has broken and is making contact intermittently. Starting current will weld the break temporarily and vibration will break it again, the car will be working on the alternator only. But check all wiring and terminals first. Measure the battery voltage on the terminals when the car is dead, (before it self heals)
Kevin 2010 NC PRHT. (98 NB6C sold)

mazline

Post by mazline » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Interesting, I have a new customer with the same problem,His car died in our car park after a 2 hour drive ,so the battery should had have plenty of charge,We put a jump pack on his car and it fired straight away.
I put my money on the ignition switch as well,
He has put a new battery in it and seems to go alright at the oment,starting wise.
I asked him to let me know if it does sort it or if the problem comes back,We seem to be having a run on these ignition switches at the moment,Better keep one aside for my own car :).
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”