keys

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

kidsoutside
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

keys

Post by kidsoutside » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Can anyone please tell me - is it the same key for all locks in my MX5 1989 model. ie. door, ignition, glove box and central storage console. My ignition key doesn't seem to work on the storage compartments.
cheers

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

keys

Post by poison » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Yes it is, so I’d guess some of your locks got replaced at some stage. The console and glove box one’s are simple so I imagine it would not be expensive to have them re-keyed. Also if your console will not lock, it would be a good idea to disconnect your boot release so anything in there is secure.

[Posted via external email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Fingaz
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

keys

Post by Fingaz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:04 pm

If yours is an early car then it was supplied from the factory with one key that worked everything and one key that just worked the doors, boot and ignition. The theory behind this was that if you went to a hotel where they park the car for you, you handed over the key that didn’t open the storage compartment and your belongings would be safe.
Regards

[Posted via external email]
Ryan Orr

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm not sure about Fingaz' 2 key comments for earlier cars (I've never heard if it), but I can tell you should have a key that will work everything. If Fingaz is correct - you obviously have the non-console key, but you might be able to get another key made to fit everything by a good locksmith.

Does your ignition key open the boot & door locks?

It is possible that just your ignition barrel has been replaced at some stage, as I know mine has. I've seen a couple of MX5s with broken keys in the ignition barrel, and some that have been screwdriver forced, so they replace the whole barrel. I don't know what happened to mine - I have always had 2 keys.

Therefore, I have 2 keys, one for ignition, and one for boot/console/glovebox/doors. It doesn't worry me, and is actually quite good if I need to give the key to someone to drive it (it has remote unlock/lock).

FWIW, you can get a competent locksmith to set up your ignition barrel to match another key (one that will work on your console etc). It is easiest if you take the key and the whole barrel (you can unbolt/unplug it from the steering column) to the locksmith.

Also, as poison said the console/glovebox aren't as sophisticated as the ignition lock as I know a few keys from various cars can be swapped amongst consoles. You have to wiggle them around a bit but the hit rate was higher than I thought it would be.

I've also taken a similar barrel on an MX6 apart to remove a broken key... I won't be doing that again in a hurry! I spent a very long time getting the springs/tumblers etc back in the right place...!

cheers
(z)

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

key cut

Post by Habanero666 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi there, I fixed my problem by getting a new key cut!
When the profile of the key wears out, it doesnt work in the least used locks. my old key doesnt lock unlock the glovey or centre console...new one does. Hope this helps.

Hab
Tires aren't cheap!

MN
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by MN » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:49 pm

For my '90 I have one key that does everything and one key that only works the ignition and doors.
cheers,

Mark

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”