Cruise control

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

PeterH
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Cruise control

Post by PeterH » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:18 pm

Has anybody installed an aftermarket cruise control like the ones RavenWing have at

http://ravenwingperformance.net/Engine_ ... -Type.html

and

http://ravenwingperformance.net/Engine_ ... -Type.html

The former is for 1999 onwards only so I'd be stuck with the second, fairly limited, vacuum model. Still, should save on the odd ticket; the cruise control in my last car certainly did...

Any comments welcome, even more so if there's a local supplier!
cheers,
peter
-1990 Silver Roadster-

GrubbyMX
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Cruise Control

Post by GrubbyMX » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:24 pm

As a matter of interest I sent Raven-Wing an Email asking for an international shipping quote on their cruise control as am wanting one myself. Nearly 3 weeks later have had no reply. Anyone know where else they are available?
Keith

PeterH

Re: Cruise Control

Post by PeterH » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:37 am

GrubbyMX wrote:As a matter of interest I sent Raven-Wing an Email asking for an international shipping quote on their cruise control as am wanting one myself. Nearly 3 weeks later have had no reply. Anyone know where else they are available?
FWIW, I found I didn't get a response from their office admin person until I'd asked Janet (rwp-info@comcast.net) why they weren't responding (Janet had previously responded to a tech query I'd had). After that, all was good.
cheers,
peter
-1990 Silver Roadster-

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:01 pm

Both Jaycar and dick smith did cruise control units that were pretty cheap, yet work very well. A workmate of mine In Aus fitted one to his falcon for the drive from newcastle to sydney and was very pleased with it...Also check out an Aus site called autospeed.com, i think they have a link to a cruise unit also....
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Nickf

Post by Nickf » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:43 pm

So can anyone update this? I am very keen to install one and my question is whether they are compatible with cars with a speedo reading in kms? I know that it plugs into the ECU but what if the output is different (ie in MPH?)

Nick

poison

Cruise control

Post by poison » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm

Hey Nick

You may have to search some of the US & UK sites, I can't see it being a popular mod on a sports car such as the MX5, I have cruise control on my other car and just use it on long trips to stop me from speeding.

I would have thought the insides of the speedo's were exactly the same between the MPH & KM/H and for the mileage just a dip switch somewhere. I don't think it would matter. I don't know that a Cruise control actually 'knows' the speed anyway, as all it does is monitor the current speed that you set it to, so it should not matter if metric or imperial. The only difference I am aware of is that the UK speedo's and possibly the USA have a different full scale speed.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Nickf

Post by Nickf » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks. After further research the install seems like a major, which has put me off. There is a place that will do it professionally, but at the cost of over $1000!

Nick

agent99

Post by agent99 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:50 am

Hi, Check out Rosta in the US, most 5er's there use Rosta which has a good rep. I imported one when the NZ$ hit 80 cents last but as yet have have not fitted it. The information on US forums gives good fitting advice and also with the kit there are good instructions. I have found all the colour codes for the wiring and it looks that the hardest part will be fitting up the mechanicals. As Rosta don't sell direct they put me in touch with a company that would ship to NZ. All up landed for $298 NZ. It is electronic controlled with pulse up and down. They do a vaccum one for early 5's and if memory serves correct owners have fitted electronic controllers to early NA's as well. hope this is some help. Cheers
Would you believe a small Ferrari, then how about a little red Corvette, well what about a classic red mx5.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”