Alarms...

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Bluesgeek
Tentative sideways sliding....

Alarms...

Post by Bluesgeek » Sun May 21, 2006 12:18 am

no alarm in the new models just an immobiliser, we'd like potential thieves to be deafened so I guess it needs an alarm that sets itself when the key is removed, or with the immobiliser?

Recommendations please!

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Sun May 21, 2006 2:03 pm

Give Dynatron a call, great guys and they know what they are doing... I have their 5 star system, with prox. and internal motion sessors and imboliser :D the only annoying thing about them is the loud beep if you step out of the car for 30 sec with your keys and the imboliser comes on :D
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

Colin

Post by Colin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Hi,
That beep after 30 secs when the immobilised kicks in can be disabled(programmed out) through the ignition key. Give dynatron a call and they will tell you how to do it.
ps: this is my first post to this forum, so hello to you all.
Colin
021 869 231

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:38 pm

Haha yeah I know it can be programed out...

It's more of a double edged sword for me.. on the one hand coming home late at night I will wake the whole house up with the single beep, and yet at the same time it reminds me to lock the car when Im out ;)

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:06 am

After being side-swiped yesterday on the harbor bridge and the guy not hearing my horn... Im installing an Airhorn!

Cant WAIT to get the alarm going through that sucker! :D

And yes, Dynatron alarm, works a charm :)
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

kiwimix109
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by kiwimix109 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:35 pm

Well I'm with you XPECTD, because I'm sick of those that don't take any notice of the little Beep my MX makes as they pull out of side streets cutting me off. So I'm going to install a set of electric Shell Horns out of an old 40's Chev. Believe me when I say they are LOUD! I have had these babies in previous cars before, they draw a little power but you can just see the fear in the eyes of those that pull out in front of you. It's like crossing Rail Way tracks only to relise you have been caught out by a freight train. This Car Alarm being talked about, how much are they to purchase and install thanks.

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:50 pm

Not too sure where you're based but a friend of mine mine who lives just a lil north of Aucks said he went to Proclass

But try this:
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q= ... arch&meta=
XPECTD

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:26 am

Cheers, we're pretty central, I'll have a hunt round for a dealer. At least its immobilised at present :)

kiwimix109

Post by kiwimix109 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:28 am

Hey thanks for the link and I'm in Te Awamutu. Worth protecting the wheels you love for sure. A dumb question from the newbie but Is there an area where members post in a photo of their wheels for other members to check out? I'm just interested in what different models of MX5's others own and what mods they might have. Cheers!

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:06 am

Perhaps a comment in here:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewforum.php?f=12

I personally like the sounds of it :-)
XPECTD

kiwimix109

Car Alarms

Post by kiwimix109 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:57 pm

Well I have looked around for an alarm since my insurance company AA directed me to have installed an alarm within one month. Nice of them to inform me now just after two weeks of taking out the insurance policy, but I guess it's a good idea to protect the car anyway. Now I looked at Warlocks who have good prices on their equipment and other suppliers that sell other models such as AVS, Mongoose, Uniden and Toad. All models I looked at were 5 star systems, confusing at this point!? It was for me because I'm so out of touch with Alarms, I didnt understand what this star rating was all about. I still have an old Alpine Alarm (2nd to the top model of it's kind) that cost me an arm and a leg but I can't risk putting it in because it's not Star Rated (so I have been told). Since doing my home work on this issue and correct me if I'm wrong, I have found that Insurance Companys like insuring vehicles (like ours) that have at least a 4 to 5 Star Rated Alarm and it has to be fitted with a Microwave sensor (which is an extra cost of $150 to $180 as it's an optional accessory). Love some feedback on this please and can members suggest what they have found to be the best Alarm System they had fitted? I'm thinking of having installed centeral locking too which is an extra $100approx per door, all up I'm looking at around $600 and thats everything incl GST. Cheers All! :wink:

m ex 5

$800

Post by m ex 5 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:55 pm

I think that $600 inc is a little optimistic to be honest, it really is the old story of "you gets what ya pay for" I was recently quoted around $1200 for a "meridian" 4 star with microwave and central locking interface (which inc installation including the door motors) which admittidly is crazy money, but I would expect something ~ $900 as a base figure, only you can assess how much to spend I guess. just my 5c worth
  • Finally found MINE
  • 99 Roadster RS Titanium Grey

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

I have a Uniden VS260

Post by Stevo » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:13 pm

In mine. AA insurance was happy as long as I had the microwave sensor put in as well. Seems to work fine, no problems although the microwave took a bit of trial by error adjusting initially. Cost about $600 installed from Installer Services. Cheers Stevo
98 NB Evolution Orange

Newbee

Thanks for the ideas about alarms

Post by Newbee » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 am

I'm just looking at buying an 07 MX5 early next year, I'm really glad I looked through all you're comments. I think I'll now go and check what my insurance company will want in terms of alarms for the new car.

Also I'm thinking of asking the sales team to install an alarm as part of the price, (cause lets face it after spending 50 grand I wont be able to aford anything extra).

Can you guys suggest what features to specify in the alarm I want. (otherwise I'm sure they'll install the cheapest thing they can).

Cheers

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:45 pm

im pretty sure dynatron do an alarm only system that integrates with a factory immobilser/central locking system so you only need to use the factory remote in NC mx5's.

Also the BIGGEST factor in getting a good alarm is the install..when i bought my car it had an approved alarm fitted by a(COUGH) "pro"...
The only problem was that the alarm module and fuses were cable tied up under the dash RIGHT NEXT TO THE FRIGGEN IGNITION LOCK AND LOOM!!! DUH!

If a thief wanted to steal the car, everything would have been right where he wanted it for easy stealing!

THE INSTALLATION IS EVERYTHING! TALK TO YOUR INSTALLER ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT AND HOW HES GOING TO DO THE JOB!!!!
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Psycho_Dad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Psycho_Dad » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:04 pm

i believe dynatron will pay your excess if your car gets stolen with a dynotron alarm if its been installed by an authurised installer... at least they used to

dont get mechanics to do it, get the pros to

my 5 has a dynatron in her, its defininite peace of mind(ie when you put the keys in the ignition the key fob sends a code through the key before the car will start)

im on dury service this week and have no issues parking outside a courthouse(considering thats where all the bad poeple go)

PEace
PSycho_Dad

Newbee

Alarm info

Post by Newbee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 am

Cheers, I (probably naively) haven't heard of dynatron before, my last bike and current car had mongoose, which was basic but did the trick. I'll go and investigate dynatron further. (Especially if the integrate well with the factory gear).

Thanks for your input, much appreciated

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:13 pm

I got mine Dynatroned... microwave sensor, footwell sensors, glass break, etc etc... all done on Bush Rd in Northshore highly recommended as it's the best system in my opinion :D

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”