James's electronic opinion thread

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

4A-GE
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

James's electronic opinion thread

Post by 4A-GE » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Rather than fag up the board with a thousand new threads about electronic stuff, we can have this one for quick and easy, yes/no answers with a bit of why thrown in.
Example (terrible but it'll do):

Hay guise, is this pod filter any good

Nahp, get this other one, it stays cleaner for longer.

Here's the original post which isn't really relevant.
Right, nice and easy. Here's what I need:

>alarm
>immobiliser
>remote
>quality install at low cost

Here's what I want:

>alarm
>dual immobiliser
>remote/s
>quality install at low cost
>central locking install
>glass/knock sensor
>silent lock/unlock
>auto door lock on startup
>flashing light for the sake of flashing lights

So. Who can point me in the direction of an [Auckland based] place that will stick a decent alarm and immobiliser in my Miat without wrecking my already faltering wallet? Happy to spend up to about $350.

Disclaimer: No I can't install it myself. I'm awful at electrical and can't see colour properly.
Last edited by 4A-GE on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:44 am

I have used warlocks on three cars now and they are great. Prices etc are on there web site
warrior

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 am

Their website is so awful, it put me off. But ok.

mattapo
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Re: James needs an alarm, and would like your help. Read on.

Post by mattapo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:18 am

4A-GE wrote: >quality install at low cost
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

With alarms you get what you pay for every time,
if you don't spend the money now you it will cost you later.

Any installer that will provide the alarm, the door motors and install it for $350 isn't worth the time of day IMHO.
the cost of the parts should be about the $350 mark.
Also consider a microwave sensor of an mx5.

fooesboy
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Re: James needs an alarm, and would like your help. Read on.

Post by fooesboy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:44 am

mattapo wrote: “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
That is a fantastic quote!

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:38 am

I can personally recommend one of these:
http://avscarsecurity.com/products/avs-a5-car-alarm/

the installation cost is not included which to have to professionally done would be around the $100-150 ballpark.

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:52 pm

My honest opinion is, super expensive car alarms aren't worth it. All you need is a basic screamer/siren, immobilizer and sure the convenience of remote central locking is great.

Obviously thats what defines an alarm, but an immo installed in all black wiring, a siren that will scream if the cars opened, is all that is needed.

Reason why I say this? Friend of mine had a Pulsar with a "5 star" alarm that was broken into, undetected right outside his bedroom window. They by-passed the alarm.

The way I see it, get your basic immo/screamer so the noob thieves will be foiled since they won't know shit, and get a GPS tracker because anyone that has the knowledge/tools available to get past a basic alarm undetected will be able to do the same with one thats more expensive.

Also, be wary of the 5-star alarm bullshit, no such standard in NZ as of mid-2012. Heres an interesting article if you want to know why. Read me.

mattapo
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by mattapo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:52 pm

With an alarm install is everything, your better to skimp on the product than the install. If you get a cheap install chances are the installer is cutting corners, thats the last thing you want.

In regard to the star rating system, it was a joke anyway, there are Thacham rated alarms available in NZ now.

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:54 pm

I ended up going for an AVS 4* jobbie. $400 installed, with "central" locking added. Should be goin' in next thursday.

Thread closed, everyone out. :lol:

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Its also just worth mentioning that when I had my alarm installed, not only did I put central locking on the doors, but I also installed a servo motor on my boot release so that I can open the boot with the remote as well.

Its worth considering as I have personally found it very useful and I use it a lot more than I initially thought I would.

-=edit=- also, as appearances are one hell of a deterrent, you could also consider splashing out on some of these stickers (irregardless that your new alarm doesn't have GPS)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Warning-stick ... 93&vxp=mtr

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:28 am

It has two mongoose stickers or something at the moment, a bfm sticker, and a steering lock. Like the look of those gps jobbies though. Next step would be a little thing of st. christopher on the dash, or beads and a lovely cross hanging from the mirror. :wink:

broomfish
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by broomfish » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 am

warrior wrote:I have used warlocks on three cars now and they are great. Prices etc are on there web site
I also used them 3 times, and never again!
Last one was on our mx5 which at that point was a Sunday drive car so only got used every 2 weekends or so. After the alarm was fitted the battery went flat if not used for 2 weeks. I went through the usual checks and even replaced the OEM battery. Everything pointed back to the alarm drawing current when armed, there was a relay which I think was energised when the alarm was on which flattened the battery. Phoned warlocks to discuss with them and got the old "we are the experts, you're not, people always blame the alarm when it's something else, we can come out and diagnose it for you for $80". My 25 years experience in the auto service trade didnt matter, I was wrong.
So I pulled the alarm out and rejoined the wiring cut for the disabling functions, no more flat battery. Big waste of $300 odd. Taken every opportunity to warn people against them since then, their poor service has cost them at least 5 customers from me.

I since brought in some alarms from a high reputation Chinese manufacturer and fitted one of those which never gave an issue. (All sold out, before you ask)
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Yeah my alarm drains my battery. I'll get around to replacing it in the future with something that hopefully doesn't

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:43 pm

My battery went dead after a week. I'd be interested to know what did that... Alternator better not be on its way out.

sprsta

Post by sprsta » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 am

4A-GE wrote:My battery went dead after a week. I'd be interested to know what did that... Alternator better not be on its way out.
if your battery went flat on a hot day, it is likely a warn switch.
they get hot and turn the high beams on (and you wont notice since the headlights stay down)

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:02 am

sprsta wrote:
4A-GE wrote:My battery went dead after a week. I'd be interested to know what did that... Alternator better not be on its way out.
if your battery went flat on a hot day, it is likely a warn switch.
they get hot and turn the high beams on (and you wont notice since the headlights stay down)

yes this.....my car had a faulty high beam "flash" spring and it would flash the high beam when the lights were down and run the battery flat. if you want to check this then flip your lights up using the dash button so you can see if they come on...usually did it in the heat of the day.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Wow, that's one of the funniest faults I've ever heard of.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Funny but true!
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”