Is this a good or bad idea ?

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

ryanhorton1973
Tentative sideways sliding....

Is this a good or bad idea ?

Post by ryanhorton1973 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi. I want to add some subwoofers into the car but don't want them seen. Not after massive bass just a bit more low down grunt that the component speakers I have recently installed don't have. (I am assuming that the crossover network is limiting the lower frequencies going to them). Also I can't put them in the boot as I need all the space available for golf clubs,etc. I have seen this install done and am wondering if this is a good / bad idea?

http://www.miata.net/hakuna/subspeak.html

All comments welcome :)

If I do this then I will be mounting the amp in the space behind the spare wheel (again not mega power due to size restrictions !)

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:37 pm

looks good but would be a heck of a lot of work. I would personally pop one of these behind the drivers seat (if you have the room) or the passengers seat.

http://www.fusionelectronics.com/car/pr ... -Subwoofer

I have one and it sounds great. Even better is that the bass is great from inside the car but you don't hear it outside (my sounds are for my pleasure, not to draw attention to my car)

-=edit=- and if you went down this route, don't waste your time with the rubbish jaycar ones, go for the fusion model or better. Bear in mind this unit is about 80mm deep (it has an inbuilt amp) so you would not be able to fit it under the OEM seats

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Do a factory install like some of them have,Mount a 8" sub in the back of the
seat itself ?

ryanhorton1973

Post by ryanhorton1973 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi Brownie. What do you mean by installing them in the seat. Do you have any more information?

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:24 pm

my 1990 mx5 has 2 speakers in the headrest, but a later model of the mx5 also had an 8" mounted in the back of the seat itself. I am unsure how much work would be involved in this as you may need to add additional mounting brackets once you cut open the back of the seat. I have no idea if these 8" speakers where individually amplified.

for your consideration, I have attached a crappy pic of my setup. sorry its so dark, I don't know how to brighten it up (I don't have PS on this PC)
Attachments
sub.setup.jpg

ryanhorton1973

Post by ryanhorton1973 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:24 pm

That looks nice. May go for one. How much does it affect the movement of the seat ( does it go all the way back still? ). I have taken the car apart today and it was not that difficult to remove the metal shelf ( about an hours work ) and I am not convinced that you would get a good enough fit to make an airtight seal and also that the space where I was planning on putting the amp is much smaller than I thought. Thanks for the replies to this post, much appreciated.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:56 pm

I am pretty sure the seat goes all the way back (or at least damn close) the amp is about 80mm thick and doesn't affect my driving seat position (I'm something like 5'7"-5'8") but I would put it behind the passengers seat if you are one of those people that like to have the seat all the way back. if you can find something of similar size/thickness (like the old yellow pages phone book) then you could do a spacial test fit.

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Not sure how they are mounted but if they are anything like the headrest speakers you find the cavity is ready for them,I might have to pull a seat apart to find out myself.
I know Ross at MX5 mart will have,Now doubt someone will have worked this out and stuck it on the net somewhere,Maybe try googling it.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”