Low Profile Headlights

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Low Profile Headlights

Post by Angreal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:08 am

Started installing the low profile headlights but took much longer than I was planning. The kit has these stupid little springs that took forever to get on.

Anyhow, it's bolted in and all that's left is to get the levels of the headlights setup correctly, screw on the side fairings and then hook them back up to the motors and I'll have a super sleek car :D

Photos of the install tonight:

The box:

The parts in the box:

Starting to strip down the existing lights:

So far so good. Seemed pretty easy up to this point, the whole stripping the existing lights that is:

Bolting the new headlights in place, where things started slowing down:

The bloody springs that ripped my fingers to pieces (yeah I should harden up and get some fingers that aren't soft) and where I started swearing lots, trying to find beer and realising that I had been stuck at the same stage for a good couple of hours...

Didn't take any more photos of it in but I can take a photo of the next step when I get back into it as I have to strip the covers off the lights to get them levelled up and not having one pointing into the sky and the other into the floor... By playing with the lights at the end where I lifted them up to see what they would look like I think I must've spent a good hour thinking "dayum, those will look awesome when done" rather than finishing the job :roll: Probably didn't help the back was killing me at this point

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:41 am

Great writeup! Can't wait to see them fully installed :D

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:17 pm

What it looks like now when I sit in the car (man they are super low which is awesome!!)

What they look like in the front

Took the car for a drive at 3am and my alignment was waaaaay out. Even with high beam on, I had to use the fog lights to see anything. Will adjust them eventually since I didn't connect them up to the motors very well but it isn't a biggie to sort, just need to make them sit at their peak height when they are on and all the way down when off - Right now they sort of float in between.

After that will then adjust the headlights. On the upside, they are most definitely for RHD vehicles as the beam pattern has the lift on the left :D

I think the moral of the story is that I shouldn't start working on the car at 10pm...

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Mind measuring the dimensions of the light itself? So when I hit up pick a part I can find something similar?

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:Mind measuring the dimensions of the light itself? So when I hit up pick a part I can find something similar?
These are the units except the ones in the kit are for RHD vehicles, not the LHD european ones
http://www.teilesuche24.de/hella/haupts ... 1?c=700243

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 am

I think the import toyota hiae ones work.the model that has the four headlights stacked two high on each side. I posted the hella part numbers in another thread
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”