Stainless Steel Brake lines

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Stainless Steel Brake lines

Post by brownie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Any one running these on a street car ,Would like some feedback on them.

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Ants » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:59 pm

No experience with them myself but according to miata.net Garage section, putting stainless steel lines in are one of the top 5 things to do! I'm looking at it, but would love to hear from anyone that already has them too.

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:36 pm

General opinion I've heard is that if you do a lot of track work and have to replace brake lines anyway (for whatever reason) then go for it, otherwise you won't really get much benefit from them - MX5 brakes really are very good as standard.

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Gravelben wrote:General opinion I've heard is that if you do a lot of track work and have to replace brake lines anyway (for whatever reason) then go for it, otherwise you won't really get much benefit from them - MX5 brakes really are very good as standard.
Especially if you have the big brake upgrade :wink:
Tires aren't cheap!

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Agree with Ben.

Having said that, there is a school of thought that the standard lines flex and expand under hard braking, reducing the fluid pressure on the pad. The braided lines overcome that.

The other area that could potentially affect brake performance is flex in the firewall which allows the master cylinder to move under hard braking. Some have fitted braces between the end of the master cylinder and the inner guard to reduce that.

It comes back to what you are using the car for. If the car is just for road use then I wouldn't bother.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

RMS
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by RMS » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 pm

I got some goodridge braided lines off trademe and I'm pretty happy with them.

They firm up the pedal much more, it just feels solid as you'd expect with less flex. Whether they are worth it I'm not sure, I like the harder feel though.

Also upgraded the front friction material to 0800 race brakes M1166 compound and fluid at the same time so I can't objectively comment on the change in braking performance.

It makes the car seem much more aggressive though and since I take it to the track from time to time that's what it's all about.

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks,
Got some Goodridge's in from Japan (non silicone wrapped) but i've got a good WOF guy :wink: .
I think i will give them ago,Got to be better than the factory 19 year old jobs,
Look good too,and go well with my 1800 brake upgrade.

12a MX5
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by 12a MX5 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:24 pm

What about wof's? what makes a braided line warrantable with out cert? All common sense says the a steel line hose is guna be better that a rubber hose but the authorities dont always use common sense.
Rotor Powered NA6

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:43 pm

I think the issue is that the condition of a rubber hose can easily be inspected visually, whereas a braided one could hide internal corrosion more easily.

I recall hearing about them needing certain tags to be allowed, but that was in the context of someone bringing a TVR over from the UK so may be a different situation.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”