Tyres

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

topliss tourer
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Tyres

Post by topliss tourer » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:54 pm

Have just fitted new set of Guardian 185/60/14 tyres but they seem noisier than the original fitted directional tyres. The dealer says the Guardians have a quiet tread pattern but I am looking for recommendations before returning to ask for a change of tyre. Only a tiki tourist who likes to drive it on sunny days but we do longish trips when the weather is right. Any suggestions :?

m ex 5
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Tyres

Post by m ex 5 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:07 pm

cant says I have heard of those, I must admit to being very impressed with the ones I have, probably wont help much though as they are JDM tyres, which usually make a real racket on our seal, but these are great! 

[Posted via External Email]
  • Finally found MINE
  • 99 Roadster RS Titanium Grey

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:09 pm

Don't all new tyres seem noisy because the thread is deeper than the set that was replaced?

Otherwise the rubber could be a harder compound than the set you replaced... I have no experience with Guardians as Im still on the blasted OEMs at the moment, but it's fun to have the car sideways once in a while in them ;)
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

R LTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Tyres

Post by R LTD » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:15 am

Guardian are a cheaper tyre produced by Firestone, generally for urban, around town use. Wouldn't have thought suitable for an MX5.

WRW
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by WRW » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:23 pm

Never heard of those either. However, I can wholeheartedly recommend the TOYO T1R's. Best tyres I've ever had, wet or shine! Glenn has them too, and I think he's very happy with them

Quote from Toyo NZ:
Proxes T1R

The Proxes T1R is Toyo’s new ultra-high performance passenger car tyre, superseding the Proxes T1S.
The Proxes T1R utilises a newly developed silica tread compound with a ultra-high molecular polymer that provides improved grip levels on wet & dry roads and improved wear resistance. The directional tread pattern of the Proxes T1R maintains the exceptional resistance to aquaplaning of the Proxes T1S, combined with a new rib / block tread shoulder arrangement that improves dry cornering grip and improves resistance to irregular wear and tear.
Nina
-------------------
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Tyres

Post by poison » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:00 pm

NEW, NEW, NEW…… It’s rare to hear anyone say something bad about a new set of tyres even cheap ones (except for noise :-) unless they are really crap, as new tyres will invariably stick much better then your old one’s as they are nice and new = softer.

The REAL DEAL is after a year or two and 30+% wear, and it’s then I want to ask, “are they still sticking in the wet?”

DRY, DRY, DRY….WET, WET, WET…. Also most people praise tyres for their holding yet never really drive a car to sliding in the wet anyway (I’m talking about 50km/hr type driving here on that tight little roundabout, not excessive speeds).

The tyres on my NA were about 2-3 yrs old (Federal I think) and are lethal in the wet, then about 6 months ago I met someone who had just put the same one’s on their car and were singing the praises about their wet handling (NEW, NEW, NEW…).

My NB came with some Kuhmo’s that are wow in the dry (as are most upper end tyres), but then let go on the slightly off camber roundabout down the road in the wet. They are about 2 years old with 50% wear.

I will be getting new tyres soon and I’m keen to hear from anyone with a few miles on their tyres who has given them that extra little push. I want to find some that have some sticky life in them, I don’t do high Km’s so I want stick not necessarily long tyre life…

Cheers

Gazza

:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Tyres

Post by Paul Murray » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:08 pm

When I was looking for a budget tyre for a Barina the Guardian was recommended. I would think that the manager has given some ill informed advice and maybe doesn't know the MX5's very well. The Firestone dealer would probably have Bridgestone tyres available. I previously had run the Bridgestone GIII's and found them to be a good tyre and they handled well on the driver training at Taupo a couple of years ago.

kkk
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Tyres

Post by kkk » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:57 pm

Put on Bridgestone G111s  205 50 15 on my NB turbo before Taupo this year and am happy with them on track and road. Got them from Bruce Gemmel tyres in Glen Innes (Auck). He did a package, four tyres $170.00 each and set up wheel alignment to Flyingmiata track specs for $50. He loved doing the alignment as he reckoned the MX5 had more adjustment than Porche. Hold in the wet pretty well unles too ethusiastic on the loud pedal with the turbo kicking in. Good luck....

White Lightning

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”