Bridgestone GR80 or GIII

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

simple
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Bridgestone GR80 or GIII

Post by simple » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:07 pm

I need 4 new tyres - have worn out the RE711's (which were great). I've been talking to Owen at Performance Tyre Co (Morningside, Auckland) - he is suggesting (all in 185/60/14):

Bridgestone GR80 at $129 each or
Bridgestone GIII at $156 each

He reckons the GR80 is a good option and that everyone raves about them. Usually his tyre information is good (whilst potentially having wacky ideas on other things).

Looking at the GR80 though, I find it is in the 'Turanza' range, which I have always associated with 'must be quiet, and grip is not important'. Looking at the tread pattern, I find that it looks far too 'family-car', but what would I know? Does anyone here have practical experience of the GR80?

I've heard lots of people say nice things about the GIII and would have no concerns about fitting them. I just don't know if the extra cost is justifiable for me.

Karl.

DBM58
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Bridgestone GR80 or GIII

Post by DBM58 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:12 pm

I am quite happy with the Grid IIIs that Owen fitted - although he did say that after looking at the Kelly variants that he took off, I did not drive the car hard at all. However, Nicky recently went to have Grid IIIs put on her car and Owen convinced her to try another type that he preferred. She did and I am sure she said that she was not pleased with the new tyres. Nicky, Could you elaborate?

Regards
David Moughtin
[Posted via External Email]
David

LilRay.Sun

Post by LilRay.Sun » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:27 pm

Turanzas are touring tyres, they are quiet and good for long trips by slow, safe drivers who don't mind looking naff.

I must have fit the category.

Apparently Owen knew just what I needed, even tho I spent 3 weeks reading up on all the options, talking to other club members, and thinking about what I wanted in the way of a tyre for club runs and normal day-to-day driving. He pretty much put me in my place 5 minutes after I got there.

Karl you probably won't have any issues getting your GIIIs (which get a great write up for the most part, only drawback is they wear quicker and are a bit noisier)

On a slightly more positive note the Turanzas a perfectly acceptable tyre, nice and quiet with excellent grip and long wearing (am running at 34 psi as opposed to the 38 Owen recommended tho, the shake and bounce is a bit harder on us women :O).

My advice is tell Owen exactly what you want before you get there, if he suggests something you don't want, be sure and tell him you DONT want it. If it were me I'd spend the extra on the GIIIs, but then what would I know?

Cheers and happy cornering.
LilRay

kkk
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Re: Bridgestone GR80 or GIII

Post by kkk » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi Another 2 pence worth. I have fitted G111 on my NB and found them to be pretty grippy and reasonably quiet.. No problems with them at all
P.S. I have the white NB turbo and was pleased with handling results at Taupo training day.
Regards.
White Lightning

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:07 pm

simple, here is my GIII report from 2002 & another post, not much difference to report from these - I had thought I had given more info recently to the list on them but can't find it. I have GIIIs all round now - soon after that post I bought 2 more and replaced the 711s.

http://mx5club.org.nz/emaillists/nzmx5l ... g01691.sht
http://www.mx5club.org.nz/emaillists/nz ... g03963.sht

I was worried they would be too different from the earlier 710/711s which I had grown very used too... but I think they stack up well with only minor differences. Go with the GIIIs IMHO, unless it will break the bank...

Don't know anything about GR80s though, but yes - I always use Owen at PT.

cheers
H
(z)

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:15 pm

Never met 'Owen'...but his recommendation of 38psi would raise a huge question mark in my mind!!!!!!!!!!
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:42 pm

For what it is worth, I inherted some fairly well worn Turanzas (admittedly ER30 in 195/50 x 15) and have been trying to wear them out so I can upgrade. Despite some quick long distance trips on some of the South Islands most demanding roads, it is taking longer than expected and without a single scary moment........
Leaving aside track use, we need to remember that standard horsepower or mildly modified MX5s, CORRECTLY set up, are NOT hard on their tyres even when enthusiastically driven. This is as a result of their suspension design and weight distribution. I would have thought that with a G3, or NCT3 or similar, in the correct size, at correct pressures with a good wheel alignment and functioning shocks (a drive-on shock testing machine might surprise you), most of us will find our MX5s will have more grip/handling on the open road than most us of have the nerve/ability to exploit! Remember back in 1989, the MX5 was praised for its handling/grip, and tyre technology has come a long way in 17 yrs!!
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

the bear

Post by the bear » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:11 am

Newbie reply about Turanzas.............I traded my Mazda Lantis a couple of days ago on a nice shiny 99 NB. The Lantis wore these tyres, and I pushed that car around corners with a fair degree of ferocity. Not once did the Turanzas even hint at letting go, and they were MUCH quieter than the crappy Japanese economy Dunlops the MX wears. I'm looking forward to the day when the Hum-lots are worn enough to justify dumping them!
8)

conceptrat

Performance Tyres and GIII

Post by conceptrat » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:37 pm

I also purchased the GIII's from Owen. He's sold me various tyres over the years for Fiat's, FXGT, Peugeot and MX5's and so far he's been on the button. But definitely you need to tell him everything you want. He knows that I drive my car relatively hard round the corners so he pointed me directly to the GIII with the choice of new mags I had.

Havent tried the others. But can say that the GIII has great grip, was worth the cost but is a little noisy.

Cheers
Julz

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:37 am

turanzas or GIII????

thats easy..................NEITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

buy TOYO T1R's they are quieter and cheaper and give far better grip AND ride than the GIII's. Only downer is they dont last as long, but this is off set by the cheaper cost, making the $ per K about the same.

I had GII's on my car and they were like wooden blocks compared to my TOYO T1-R tyres.
the side walls are softer on the toyos meaning a slight alignment change could be needed if you dont like the slightly more dull turn in characteristics compared to the hard walled GIII.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:02 pm

Ian wrote:Never met 'Owen'...but his recommendation of 38psi would raise a huge question mark in my mind!!!!!!!!!!
EXACTLY!! 38psi is WAY too much for a light car like the MX5. At most I would run 33psi for the road and 34psi for the track. Even something like a Falcon I would only run 34 psi for the road. (All dependant on tyre profile of course).

Growler.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”