Welded diff?

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

JaredH
Tentative sideways sliding....

Welded diff?

Post by JaredH » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi Guys

My current diff is either open or a very worn VLSD. I would like a decent Torsen or other LSD but at this stage don't have funds and they seem relatively hard to come by in NZ.

My question is, for a car that will be doing track days and gymkhana/skid pad days, is a welded diff going to be better than a open diff? I have another car for daily driving, so will only be driving the mx5 to and from track (on the motorway).
Il be keeping a standard diff as well for if i ever need to use on the road more.

Cheers

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Keep your existing diff.

A locked diff works against the car rotating as you go around corners, so it will understeer. This might be acceptable if you're building a ultra-budget drift hack, or are only driving in a straight line but unlikely to serve you well at a track day.

evel
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by evel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:51 pm

Unless you have the tune-ability, power and aggression of a V8 Supercar (they run full spool diffs), like marcellarius said avoid it. Torsens come up from time to time or maybe look at getting an aftermarket clutch pack diff instead.
'94 S-Special 1800 in BLACK
Flares and 225/45 Semi Slicks.

JaredH

Post by JaredH » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. Thats what i figured, guess i will stay open for a bit

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:58 pm

evel wrote:Unless you have the tune-ability, power and aggression of a V8 Supercar (they run full spool diffs), like marcellarius said avoid it. Torsens come up from time to time or maybe look at getting an aftermarket clutch pack diff instead.
Had no idea what a spool diff was so I did a quick Google and found this:
"In 2014 a man in Perth, Western Australia plead guilty to charges of dangerous driving causing death after fitting a mini-spool to his V8 Holden Commodore car, crashing into a tree and killing his son.[5]"

Hmm I think I like my 1.5 way

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”